A wonky request

Ploooopp
Spoiler

Hey guys, so I got this old thingy and all the guages work but it's getting turned into a Bluetooth speaker (not the one I posted about yesterday, this is more of a transplant) 

What I'm wondering is if there's a pcb or something that'll take in 12 and throw out random voltages and mA to get the gagues to move sporadically or if there's even a way to get it in tune with the music? 

20220502_220835.jpg

20220502_220858.jpg

So I can put anything here?

connect the speaker wire directly to the back of those gauges and disconnect everything else

5 hours ago, emosun said:

connect the speaker wire directly to the back of those gauges and disconnect everything else

I'll try that and report back! 

Dont try that! Connecting a sound source directly to the mA - meter, will either destroy the meter or the sound source! Also both of them are DC meters, so it wont work properly. I can help you make this work a little later, but don`t try this now!

47 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Dont try that! Connecting a sound source directly to the mA - meter, will either destroy the meter or the sound source! Also both of them are DC meters, so it wont work properly. I can help you make this work a little later, but don`t try this now!

Luckily I woke up to this reply before I had a chance to test it! 

Good that you read this 🙂 . To help you further, i will need some information. What is the sound source/amplifier you use? Also, both meter have some symbols in the bottom right corner showing what kind of meter they actually are. A photo of those would help a lot.

Also, the amp-meter has a pretty big resistor connected directly to it, you will need to get rid of it.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, Heats with Nvidia said:

Good that you read this 🙂 . To help you further, i will need some information. What is the sound source/amplifier you use? Also, both meter have some symbols in the bottom right corner showing what kind of meter they actually are. A photo of those would help a lot.

Also, the amp-meter has a pretty big resistor connected directly to it, you will need to get rid of it.

Sorry I haven't been active, had a hospital trip, I'm all good now tho, will take pictures and send links to the amplifier board

On 5/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, Heats with Nvidia said:

I'm officially back! It says model H-35 and I'm guessing the resistor is the clear coil of copper? I'll take that out 

20220510_191116.jpg

2 hours ago, Ploooopp said:

I'm officially back! It says model H-35 and I'm guessing the resistor is the clear coil of copper? I'll take that out 

20220510_191116.jpg

Welcome back! The most important part is that you are OK. So don`t worry about the time between posts to this thread. I also can't always immediately answer. Like you, i have a life outside this forum.

Back to your problem: I was hoping for more information on these meters, but sadly there is none. Usually those have some markings that tell you, what type of meter this really is. For example, the mA-meter ususally is just another voltmeter or a really sensitive amp-meter. Or both, the lines get a little blurry at that point. With the right resistor at the right place, like the big one, i told you to to take out, you can convert it to an amp-meter or a volt-meter with the properties you want.

Since we don`t know the real properties of your meters, we need to test them. You will need a rectifier, where i would recommend a full wave rectifier and a resistor. The schematic for this is here: Schematic The problem is, we don`t know anything about the meters... So you will have to experiment. The type of diodes of full wave rectifier doesn`t matter much, so use what you have or can get. The resistor is what you have to experiment with. Connect this to the loudspeaker outputs of your amplifier and slowly turn up the volume. If you reach the maximum of the meter too fast, you need to increase the value of the resistor, ich it doesn`t move at all or only a little, you need a resistor with less resistance. I would start with a resistor with around 10KOhm or more. A to high value resistor does nothing, but a too low value resistor might damage the meter by just smashing the needle until it can`t go further.

When you found a value that actually works, i can give you some tips to slow it down, if you want that.