Psu upgrade advice

ridgway90

Hey guys

Recently managed to get some nice upgrades to my PC but I feel like I could do with a PSU upgrade and would appreciate some advice. 

5800x

EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra

2x 2.5 SSDs

2x m.2 SSDs

Corsair H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB

6x fans

Currently running ok from an EVGA 600w

Have been looking at the new Corsair RM850x at about £100 but not finding many similar priced alternatives (probably just looking wrong) 

Thanks for the input 🙂 just need to find an OK deal and get it installed

Have been looking at the new Corsair RM850x at about £100 ........Get this one that you mentioned above. Good choice.

Struggling to find it for a decent price now, but the Antec one will set me back £40 and is still tier A as far as I was seeing, is the Corsair significantly better?

On 9/28/2021 at 9:43 PM, ridgway90 said:

Hey guys

Recently managed to get some nice upgrades to my PC but I feel like I could do with a PSU upgrade and would appreciate some advice. 

5800x

EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra

2x 2.5 SSDs

2x m.2 SSDs

Corsair H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB

6x fans

Currently running ok from an EVGA 600w

Have been looking at the new Corsair RM850x at about £100 but not finding many similar priced alternatives (probably just looking wrong) 

You may find the above tier list of use. Overall with your system you are probably looking at a ~850W class PSU.

Personally I am using a Seasonic Focus GX-850 and it has been adequate to my needs so far.
I did not yet upgrade my GPU however, so my use case may differ from what you have, same for pricing.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

10 minutes ago, ridgway90 said:

is the Corsair significantly better?

Yes, because no issues at all with a RTX 3080. The Antec is a Seasonic inside and Seasonics struggle with some RTX 3080. I don't recommand Seasonic based PSUs with RTX 3000 GPUs.

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Yes, because no issues at all with a RTX 3080. The Antec is a Seasonic inside and Seasonics struggle with some RTX 3080. I don't recommand Seasonic based PSUs with RTX 3000 GPUs.

In my understanding Seasonics had early protections kick in on some older models, but this was fixed.

I can be wrong, still waiting for my 3080ti to be dispatched, would find out then.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

That's the tier list I was looking at XD 

I've put a question in about the manufacture date as my understanding is the problems we're fixed after 2018,hopefully I'll be able to use my voucher for laptops direct haha

46 minutes ago, ridgway90 said:

the problems we're fixed after 2018

The ripple issue with Strix GTX 970 and OCP issues with Vega 56/64 and GTX 1080 Ti/RTX 2080 Ti were fixed. There are other issues with RTX 3000 like noise on the sensewire.

I thought it was fixed and that's why the pre-2018 is in the low priority field

Fixing related problems for previous GPUs I'm guessing, there are a few footnotes about rtx3000 issues being fixed in post 2018 PSUs