My PC crashes - kernel 41

LoKoX1

Hi, I have been experiencing the BSOD (mainly csgo in the middle of the game or even at the start of the round) for atleast a week or so, with system log saying Kernel Power 41, actually I googled what that means and I just want to ask... Is there some relation to CPU being overclocked at it's technically real boost freq, with this issues? Or this could be some bad power delivery? I have ultimate sysem PowerPlan, fans turned on fastest it could go, cpu voltage about 1.25v(mybe higher, I don't know right now)

I have Ryzen 5 3600 stock freq at the moment,

Asus Prime B450 mk,

MSI gtx 980 4gb,

16gb G.Skill aegis 3000mhz cl16,

500gb Crucial P5 m.2 nvme ssd,

2 hdd (160gb WD blue, 240gb Seagate Barracuda),

And last but not least EVGA 600w psu

I just want some help/tips, because I don't like how my mates being so rude at me about this problem..  I've updated the windows to the latest version like few minutes ago. 

Thanks for your answers. 

Check your drivers update to latest drivers and disable other useless drivers from device manager, you might need to google the drivers for ur pc.

Ok.

So you're using a B450m-k. I have this board. First off, the vrm package is not equipped to overclock. It's the most bottom end board you can get before A series chipsets....

So actively cooling might help if the VRMs are hitting shut down temps. (125c)

Having said that, EVGA makes good, decent, and bad PSUs. I don't think it would hurt to try a different one either. But be sure to put the VRM temps in check first.

Good Luck!

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ok.

So you're using a B450m-k. I have this board. First off, the vrm package is not equipped to overclock. It's the most bottom end board you can get before A series chipsets....

So actively cooling might help if the VRMs are hitting shut down temps. (125c)

Having said that, EVGA makes good, decent, and bad PSUs. I don't think it would hurt to try a different one either. But be sure to put the VRM temps in check first.

Good Luck!

Ok, so if I would want to actively cool VRM, i would need some heatsink and then perhaps small cooler, or the heatsink itself would just a little push down the temps?

By the way I have the temps on cpu like from 50-60 in csgo and gpu goes up to 50, but that should be fine.. 

Well... I have only one chassis fan 3pin, so probably the splitter is probably necessary.. I have the small 92mm or mybe 100mm fan in the back of the case, and it puts out, well, lot's of heat 🙂 so i was wondering if i would rather buy a new case with good airflow or the for front panel... 

29 minutes ago, LoKoX1 said:

Ok, so if I would want to actively cool VRM, i would need some heatsink and then perhaps small cooler, or the heatsink itself would just a little push down the temps?

By the way I have the temps on cpu like from 50-60 in csgo and gpu goes up to 50, but that should be fine.. 

Well... I have only one chassis fan 3pin, so probably the splitter is probably necessary.. I have the small 92mm or mybe 100mm fan in the back of the case, and it puts out, well, lot's of heat 🙂 so i was wondering if i would rather buy a new case with good airflow or the for front panel... 

For sure a splitter would be super useful. Case flow important. Maybe not heat sinks on the VRMs, but definitely air flow right on them. you can squeeze a 92mm fan there, that might do the trick, but you want that fresh air intake. 

My wifes case. Some old Antec deal low end. Poor air flow. I cut a 220mm hole in the side panel which was just a solid metal panel and slapped a big ass fan on it. Worked wonders. Covered everything. 🙂 

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

For sure a splitter would be super useful. Case flow important. Maybe not heat sinks on the VRMs, but definitely air flow right on them. you can squeeze a 92mm fan there, that might do the trick, but you want that fresh air intake. 

My wifes case. Some old Antec deal low end. Poor air flow. I cut a 220mm hole in the side panel which was just a solid metal panel and slapped a big ass fan on it. Worked wonders. Covered everything. 🙂 

I have an quite old case, and i put a lexan sheet on the side panel.

Ok, so I'll put a few holes to it, and drill some holes for air intake... I'll update the result when I'll do it...

6 hours ago, LoKoX1 said:

I have an quite old case, and i put a lexan sheet on the side panel.

Ok, so I'll put a few holes to it, and drill some holes for air intake... I'll update the result when I'll do it...

Ok, so i have put the fan on the left side panel, and I've opened the hw monitor.. and which temps do i have to look for VRM's i have 3 of TMPIN (0,1,2) (0: 72°c max rn after benchmark from csgo, 1: 48°C max, 2: 52°C max) so which one should I have to look for. 

Try hwinfo64 instead.

31 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Try hwinfo64 instead.

Ok, which Temp sensor? would it be enough if i look only for MB temps ? 

But after some test, it seems to be probbably running for now

13 minutes ago, LoKoX1 said:

Ok, which Temp sensor? would it be enough if i look only for MB temps ? 

But after some test, it seems to be probbably running for now

If the board has the sensors, the reading will start with VR in the description. IF you see nothing that has a VR (voltage regulator) then it is likely there isn't an external sensor for readings in that board.

MB temps generally refer to chipset or a sensor on the PCB in a where ever location and used for measuring Tcase temp.

But sounds like that little better air flow is helping. But on warm days with warm ambient you may still have occasional issue, well if we can confirm the modifications really do help within a reasonable ambient scenario while in use. We shall see!

24 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If the board has the sensors, the reading will start with VR in the description. IF you see nothing that has a VR (voltage regulator) then it is likely there isn't an external sensor for readings in that board.

MB temps generally refer to chipset or a sensor on the PCB in a where ever location and used for measuring Tcase temp.

But sounds like that little better air flow is helping. But on warm days with warm ambient you may still have occasional issue, well if we can confirm the modifications really do help within a reasonable ambient scenario while in use. We shall see!

Well it crashed again , again with kernel 41, latest Windows version, latest gpu and cpu and bios... Vrm has some air on itself... I wonder now if it would help to put the cpu to base clock with auto voltage with 0 oc 

😐

4 hours ago, LoKoX1 said:

Well it crashed again , again with kernel 41, latest Windows version, latest gpu and cpu and bios... Vrm has some air on itself... I wonder now if it would help to put the cpu to base clock with auto voltage with 0 oc 

😐

Well... that's kind of a great idea, running diagnostics at defaults. 

But would like to try a few different angles we can do that too. 

Run 2933 mhz with XMP enabled, frequency manually input. K. Then in the timings menu, set "power down mode" disabled. This sometimes helps the frequency of the K41 code and the restart or hang that accompanies it. (This is your OC you have? XMP enabled??)

This is one of the most difficult issues to diag. It can literally be any piece or combination of hardware. 

The board and memory at the low end scale. EVGA with questionable quality. (Cause we don't know the model of it)

But something has me thinking the memory may be throttling when going idle and the rig (board maybe) just doesn't like it. 

PS

I've tried to help several people that wound up replacing some piece of hardware and the issue was gone. Cpu, gpu, boards, memory and psu. It could even be a drive. I would set power to full go. In fact, I don't let my storage drives fall asleep cause I don't feel like waiting for the spin up.

Keep plugging away. You'll figure it out.

8 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well... that's kind of a great idea, running diagnostics at defaults. 

But would like to try a few different angles we can do that too. 

Run 2933 mhz with XMP enabled, frequency manually input. K. Then in the timings menu, set "power down mode" disabled. This sometimes helps the frequency of the K41 code and the restart or hang that accompanies it. (This is your OC you have? XMP enabled??)

This is one of the most difficult issues to diag. It can literally be any piece or combination of hardware. 

The board and memory at the low end scale. EVGA with questionable quality. (Cause we don't know the model of it)

But something has me thinking the memory may be throttling when going idle and the rig (board maybe) just doesn't like it. 

PS

I've tried to help several people that wound up replacing some piece of hardware and the issue was gone. Cpu, gpu, boards, memory and psu. It could even be a drive. I would set power to full go. In fact, I don't let my storage drives fall asleep cause I don't feel like waiting for the spin up.

Keep plugging away. You'll figure it out.

Ok, i have the xmp enabled and 3000mhz rn 1.25-1.35v should be the range on RAM, i have the vrm control set to regular with 300mhz (which is middle for stability and oc range) I'll try my best. Btw the evga is 600w w1 80plus rating.. it's kinda entry level, but to be sure, i should have atleast 200watts reserve when i was calculating the PSU. My pc should take about 464watts... I'll try to make adjustments and if something, I'll keep you updated..

9 hours ago, LoKoX1 said:

Ok, i have the xmp enabled and 3000mhz rn 1.25-1.35v should be the range on RAM, i have the vrm control set to regular with 300mhz (which is middle for stability and oc range) I'll try my best. Btw the evga is 600w w1 80plus rating.. it's kinda entry level, but to be sure, i should have atleast 200watts reserve when i was calculating the PSU. My pc should take about 464watts... I'll try to make adjustments and if something, I'll keep you updated..

Well, I've just read some article about that kernel 41... It could be even a audio driver.. I am currently using logitech g pro X (wired) with usb sound card but without ghub.. i think it shouldn't do some problems, but in device manager I'm seeing some device that is not even registered, it doesn't says what is the device... I didn't downloaded the ghub just because of audio enhancements.. mainly bass and loudness eq. What i remember, was that, when I used the ghub with the same system, but other m.2 drive... The enhancements were gone, i only tweaks i could had were in ghub equaliser... Nothing more .. 

2 hours ago, LoKoX1 said:

Well, I've just read some article about that kernel 41... It could be even a audio driver.. I am currently using logitech g pro X (wired) with usb sound card but without ghub.. i think it shouldn't do some problems, but in device manager I'm seeing some device that is not even registered, it doesn't says what is the device... I didn't downloaded the ghub just because of audio enhancements.. mainly bass and loudness eq. What i remember, was that, when I used the ghub with the same system, but other m.2 drive... The enhancements were gone, i only tweaks i could had were in ghub equaliser... Nothing more .. 

Ah, so test with and without that headphone set and with or without drivers. Good lead though. 

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ah, so test with and without that headphone set and with or without drivers. Good lead though. 

well... now the question mark is whether it´s fixed or not... and if it is, i would like to have audio enhancements 😄 

3 hours ago, LoKoX1 said:

well... now the question mark is whether it´s fixed or not... and if it is, i would like to have audio enhancements 😄 

it seems to be fine from now.. one full match ok

30 minutes ago, LoKoX1 said:

it seems to be fine from now.. one full match ok

Nice. Good to hear. No pun intended.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Nice. Good to hear. No pun intended.

Well it works.. but now it crashed because of some HID device... I don´t have nothing connected than mouse, keyboard, headphones... nothing more

image.png.d7c38840175ab3b8ea5826a90d2e2625.png

1 minute ago, LoKoX1 said:

Well it works.. but now it crashed because of some HID device... I don´t have nothing connected than mouse, keyboard, headphones... nothing more

image.png.d7c38840175ab3b8ea5826a90d2e2625.png

Yeah that's weird. The device isn't plugged in, or is still plugged in. Dvd reader? Gpu audio over hdmi? 

So you removed the driver too for the head set?

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah that's weird. The device isn't plugged in, or is still plugged in. Dvd reader? Gpu audio over hdmi? 

So you removed the driver too for the head set?

I´ve actually downloaded the driver just to stop pc from crashing for headphones... I do have dvd reader, that´s true 😄 My second monitor is plugged via hdmi, but no problems with that were before. I dont actually know... I wonder if this is not, because i´m using the dedicated USB sound card than jacks... 

48 minutes ago, LoKoX1 said:

I´ve actually downloaded the driver just to stop pc from crashing for headphones... I do have dvd reader, that´s true 😄 My second monitor is plugged via hdmi, but no problems with that were before. I dont actually know... I wonder if this is not, because i´m using the dedicated USB sound card than jacks... 

I'd pull the usb sound card and test then.

18 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd pull the usb sound card and test then.

Well, the crash looks like it´s solved, i had run cmd - chkdsk c:/f, sfc /scannow  and memory diag., put the BIOS into the base settings, unplugged the USB card..

and i´ve played without disturbing 4 games. But i still be keeping this thread opened, if this happens to somebody else... 

32 minutes ago, LoKoX1 said:

Well, the crash looks like it´s solved, i had run cmd - chkdsk c:/f, sfc /scannow  and memory diag., put the BIOS into the base settings, unplugged the USB card..

and i´ve played without disturbing 4 games. But i still be keeping this thread opened, if this happens to somebody else... 

Cool. Glad you figured it out!