Possibly no Thermal Compound..

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
46 minutes ago, 8tg said:

That’s a 3900x on a 120mm AIO, water cooling is not inherently better, at that point it’s slightly better than the stock cooler, maybe.

A 120mm aio seeing sub 70c temps on a 3900x is pretty good.

1 hour ago, dynamix1862 said:

It was at idle. I was just sitting at my home screen with the dashboard and Windows Edge. I'm not sure what the temp is when it's under load or when I'm gaming. I also have two 120mm fans in the front of the case and one 120mm in the back, attached to the AIO and my room is freezing. Just trying to dump as much info as possible to help you helping me. Thanks again though!

Ouch yeah, that's a really bad pairing if its a 120mm AIO, its almost certainly holding the performance of that CPU back.

The only good reason to use a 120mm AIO is if you don't have space for a bigger one or a chunky air cooler like the Deepcool AS500 or Noctua NH-D15.

I could really use someone's help, please!

1416232582_killme.PNG.e8f45dd3db37cda49a6d5047e05bd337.PNG

I have a 120 AIO liquid cooling system in my pre built pc. The problem is I'm worried the company I had build it for me, did something wrong. I keep seeing other forums saying their liquid cooling systems get them temps in the range of 35-45c, but I always see somewhere in the ballpark of 60-70c. I'm very new to the pc master race, so unfortunately I have a ton to learn. 

Thank you all in advance!

Maybe you can also tell me where I messed up with my parts?

• AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900X 3.80GHz 12-Core
  • Thermal Compound - CLX FLUXX
  • MSI X570 MPG GAMING PLUS
  • (2) * G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 3200 MHz - 16GB
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
  • 1TB Samsung 980 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD
  • CLX Quench 120 Closed Liquid Cooler
  • Onboard RAID Controller
  • HORUS P300A Mid Tower Black

8 minutes ago, dynamix1862 said:

I could really use someone's help, please!

when you took these images, was your pc under load? ( doing some heavy work, if so, please mention it ) or was it at idle?

hey! i know to use a computer

1 minute ago, hirusha.adikari said:

when you took these images, was your pc under load? ( doing some heavy work, if so, please mention it ) or was it at idle?

It was at idle. I was just sitting at my home screen with the dashboard and Windows Edge. I'm not sure what the temp is when it's under load or when I'm gaming. I also have two 120mm fans in the front of the case and one 120mm in the back, attached to the AIO and my room is freezing. Just trying to dump as much info as possible to help you helping me. Thanks again though!

That’s a 3900x on a 120mm AIO, water cooling is not inherently better, at that point it’s slightly better than the stock cooler, maybe.

46 minutes ago, 8tg said:

1 hour ago, dynamix1862 said:

Ouch yeah, that's a really bad pairing if its a 120mm AIO, its almost certainly holding the performance of that CPU back.

The only good reason to use a 120mm AIO is if you don't have space for a bigger one or a chunky air cooler like the Deepcool AS500 or Noctua NH-D15.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

You need a bigger AIO if you want better cooling, the water doesn't have enough time to cool in that small of a radiator for that CPU. They aren't bad temps but you should check when you are at load how the temps are. If you are over 78 Degrees then I recommend upgrading to 240MM, however 360MM is recommended.

The geek himself.

120mm AIOs are useless, unless you have such a small form factor that you literally can't fit anything bigger. Even a basic single tower cooler will be more effective. You need a 280mm rad or bigger before it will outperform what air cooling can achieve, though 240mm works as an alternative to something like a D15, if you're trying to avoid the clearance issues of large air coolers like that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

You're all so amazing, I have been searching the internet for days trying to figure this problem out. I am very thankful I come across a Linus Tech Tips video, because it seems as if I have found a very committed and passionate community. Truly I could not thank you all enough, you eased my worried mind and it means the world!