PreBuilt PC Advice

DMoze

Budget (including currency): $2500 AUD (Australian Dollar) with some wiggle room

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Architecture programs, 3D modelling (Revit, Vray, AutoCAD) and general games.

Other details: The price for all this comes to $2,699 AUD which seems like a pretty good deal. My question is, should I wait till GPU prices drop (if they drop) and buy/ build this on my own and if so, is there anything with these parts that can/ need to be improved?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.60GHZ 6 Cores 12 Threads AM4 Desktop Processor
-

Gigabyte B550M Gaming AM4 mATX Desktop Motherboard

- Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC 8GB Graphics Card
- Team T-FORCE Delta RGB Series DRAM 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz 1.35V Black
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2  NVMe PCIe SSD
- 2TB Hard Disk Drive
- 750W Fully Modular 80+ GOLD Power Supply
- Karuza TG Case With 3X 120MM LED Fans
- Coolermaster Masterliquid LITE ML240L V2 RGB CPU Cooler
- Windows 10 Home

10 minutes ago, DMoze said:

My question is, should I wait till GPU prices drop (if they drop) and buy/ build this on my own and if so, is there anything with these parts that can/ need to be improved?

Yes you should wait for prices to drop or maybe you could snag 3070 at MSRP with those stock alert bots (personally i have been able to, if you have the billing and shipping details already on their). And don't buy a pre-built.

And this build will offer the maximum performance that your budget can deliver.

Prices are in AUD

PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CyXRW3 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($844.00 @ JW Computers) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler  ($169.00 @ Scorptec) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($158.77 @ JW Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($299.00 @ Scorptec) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($200.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ BPC Technology) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($670.00) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($105.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($155.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Total: $2668.77 AUD
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-27 20:08 AEST+1000

Just compare what you where having earlier for 2700$ vs now.

Yes it does seem like an okay deal. It's hard to tell whether it's going to be worth it buying these parts separately, though prices seem to slowly go down for GPUs. It depends on whether you're in a hurry or not...

19 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

Yes you should wait for prices to drop or maybe you could snag 3070 at MSRP with those stock alert bots (personally i have been able to, if you have the billing and shipping details already on their). And don't buy a pre-built.

And this build will offer the maximum performance that your budget can deliver.

Prices are in AUD

PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CyXRW3 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($844.00 @ JW Computers) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler  ($169.00 @ Scorptec) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($158.77 @ JW Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($299.00 @ Scorptec) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($200.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ BPC Technology) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($670.00) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($105.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($155.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Total: $2668.77 AUD
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-27 20:08 AEST+1000

Just compare what you where having earlier for 2700$ vs now.

Wow yeah thank you. I do have a family friend who owns his own tech company so he might be able to get a GPU closer to the MSRP which will be great. Do you think the Ryzen 9 5900X is worth it or would a 5 5600X still perform well especially as it is almost half the price?

9 minutes ago, DMoze said:

Do you think the Ryzen 9 5900X is worth it or would a 5 5600X still perform well especially as it is almost half the price?

In Gaming they are close, but not that close.

And how in the world could a 12 core CPU equal to the performance of a 6 core CPU?

You have Modelling Job, so these cores might come in handy.

Edit: If you don't like 12 core monster then go for 5800x it has 8 cores in 350 USD(On amazon discount) but if you want 6 or 8 cores, no other thing will be changed except the CPU. So if you want the best, then go for 12 core.

But it all depends upon you.

7 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

In Gaming they are close, but not that close.

And how in the world could a 12 core CPU equal to the performance of a 6 core CPU?

You have Modelling Job, so these cores might come in handy.

Edit: If you don't like 12 core monster then go for 5800x it has 8 cores in 350 USD(On amazon discount) but if you want 6 or 8 cores, no other thing will be changed except the CPU. So if you want the best, then go for 12 core.

But it all depends upon you.

After doing a little research and asking some colleagues, more cores is definitely the way to go, especially when we have to render our models. 

5 minutes ago, DMoze said:

After doing a little research and asking some colleagues, more cores is definitely the way to go, especially when we have to render our models. 

Yes, but only if your renders are done by your CPU. If your software does cuda renders, more CPU cores won't do much. The 3070 will be faster rendering with cuda than the 5900x will with CPU. It is obviously a more powerful CPU than the 5600x. But it's also more power consumption, and requires good cooling (but Abdullah has got you covered with the noctua NH-D15 🙂).

I don't know, I thought I'd just point it out.

27 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

Yes, but only if your renders are done by your CPU. If your software does cuda renders, more CPU cores won't do much. The 3070 will be faster rendering with cuda than the 5900x will with CPU.

I have personally used CAD programs, like the OP is using, and i know by using them that the CPU plays a very important role, and the time it takes for a command to finish and the complexity of the model depends upon your CPU, GPU is only used to render the part (on screen) not process the part itself.