Need iPad advice.

m1lk3y

So I've been waiting the past few months to see what the new iPads were going to be like, was also hoping for a new mini model, but alas, only the pro was announced. I currently have a mini, but I was wanting to upgrade to a bigger iPad. I was contemplating getting a pro, but I feel like the only reason I would have to get it is the 120hz screen. I'm not going to be utilizing the full power of the pro either. I'm an aviation student and only use it for ForeFlight and I'll be getting a pencil so I can take notes in classes. Anyone have experience using both, would buying the pro be a worthwhile investment for me or should I just save the few hundred dollars and get the Air? I don't think the storage is too much of an issues since I won't be doing much, 64 should be plenty, although I'm sad the Air doesn't have a 128gb model. Another reason the air is more tempting is for the touch ID on the power button, especially with wearing a mask with everything I do. A side note that I don't know if it matters, but I will be needing the cellular version. Thanks any and all for the help.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

I would say, save the money and go with the air. I have a pro and I use it for notes in school and for planing my drone flights for jobs but that all could be easily done on the air. The only way that I would recommend the pro is if you are using it as your only computer. 

For your use case and the limited space in a cockpit, I would be careful of going bigger than the mini, unless you already have a mount and location all worked out.

4 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

For your use case and the limited space in a cockpit, I would be careful of going bigger than the mini, unless you already have a mount and location all worked out.

I appreciate the username and picture. Thank you. And yeah, I'm aware of the size issue. I'm happy going a little bigger, most of the flying I'll be doing from here on out will be CFI stuff, so having the extra real estate for ForeFlight and my students will be useful. The mini (for me) is a little too small for note taking in class. Thanks for the tip though.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

10 minutes ago, mooselyWild said:

I would say, save the money and go with the air. I have a pro and I use it for notes in school and for planing my drone flights for jobs but that all could be easily done on the air. The only way that I would recommend the pro is if you are using it as your only computer. 

Definitely not my computer. I have my laptop and a desktop, so the iPad is strictly just for notes in class and flying related stuff. Thanks so much!