SQL Translation, Terminology?

ahuckphin
Go to solution Solved by elpiop,
17 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

image.png.d229a3660f9aac1cf03c64ced1f5644c.png

Is it possible that once data is extracted from the database, before it is shown to the user, it is translated to provide the user with more information? For example, 1 = punch, 2 = kick and 3 = step. 

Is translation the right terminology? 

In my mind, I imagine every line has to be translated. However is it possible that the translation can appear elsewhere else? Is it even possible to perform translations? 

You can use CASE, for example: 

SELECT CASE action
WHEN 1 THEN 'punch'
WHEN 2 THEN 'kick'
WHEN 3 THEN 'step'
else 'something else' // if you want to provide a default case, else will return null for other values
END AS action
FROM vaccinations;

Is it possible that once data is extracted from the database, before it is shown to the user, it is translated to provide the user with more information? For example, 1 = punch, 2 = kick and 3 = step. 

In my mind, I imagine every line has to be translated. However is it possible that the translation can appear elsewhere else? Is it even possible to perform translations? 

17 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

You can use CASE, for example: 

SELECT CASE action
WHEN 1 THEN 'punch'
WHEN 2 THEN 'kick'
WHEN 3 THEN 'step'
else 'something else' // if you want to provide a default case, else will return null for other values
END AS action
FROM vaccinations;

4 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

I think "mapping" is the correct term in this case.

You would typically do this by joining tables, otherwise @elpiop's solution works if you can't add a table for some reason.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*