Dedicated PC VR build advice

brossiah

Budget (including currency): $1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Dedicated PC VR build on a Valve Index (goal - 120 [hopefully 144hz] at high fidelity) 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys. I'm currently running a valve index and I want to be able to run 144hz comfortably at least on high. Currently bottlenecked at the CPU, so I would like some advice.

Current-
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC (32GB ram 2666mhz)
Ryzen 5 2600x
GB Gaming OC RTX 3070
Gammmax deepcool GTE CPU cooler
Corsair 750w +80 bronze ATX psu

I was looking at the following upgrades.... 
Ryzen 5 5600x
X570 variant (still trying to research which one will best suit my needs).

Any advice and direction is greatly appreciate. I am willing to spend up to $1,000 USD (to account for scalper pricing for CPUs) for this upgrade.

Thank you guys.

6 hours ago, brossiah said:

Budget (including currency): $1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Dedicated PC VR build on a Valve Index (goal - 120 [hopefully 144hz] at high fidelity) 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys. I'm currently running a valve index and I want to be able to run 144hz comfortably at least on high. Currently bottlenecked at the CPU, so I would like some advice.

Current-
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC (32GB ram 2666mhz)
Ryzen 5 2600x
GB Gaming OC RTX 3070
Gammmax deepcool GTE CPU cooler
Corsair 750w +80 bronze ATX psu

I was looking at the following upgrades.... 
Ryzen 5 5600x
X570 variant (still trying to research which one will best suit my needs).

Any advice and direction is greatly appreciate. I am willing to spend up to $1,000 USD (to account for scalper pricing for CPUs) for this upgrade.

Thank you guys.

A 5600/5800 would be a great upgrade. Note that if you do the latter then you need a aftermarket cooler

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

I ended up getting a 5800x and a Rog Strix x570-e gaming mobo.  

Are you saying I will need a different cooler instead of the Gammmax deepcool ?  

If so, what would you recommend?