Sata questions

Aaron G
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
2 minutes ago, Aaron G said:

I have an M.2 drive in both available M.2 slots, does that mean 0,1,4 and 5 are all disabled? Unfortunately I don't have access to a paper manual as I bought a prebuilt from micro center. Thanks for the help. 

Yes. 

There's a user manual you can get through ASRock's site: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6.pdf

SATA ports 2 and 3 will work and the two ports provided by the ASMedia ASM1061 controller, which are ports SATA3_A1 and A2, the lowest two SATA ports on the motherboard.

I recently installed a new nvme ssd and powered up my system. After going into the disk management an old hdd wasnt showing up anymore. I swapped the sata cable for a hard drive I knew was working and after powering up the system for the second time the hard drive that showed up originally was now missing and the other hard drive that was missing on the first boot up was now shown.

After a little bit of digging it looks like they had a sata cable with multiple connectors on it one going to a hard drive and another going up to my optical drive.

I feel like i messed something up while installing the nvme drive, because the optical drive and my hdd both showed up on my file explore before but now I only ever see one device.

Edited by Aaron G
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Aaron G said:

Asrock z270 gaming k6

Make sure to quote people so they're notified of your replies.

@Oshino Shinobu

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

5 minutes ago, Aaron G said:

Asrock z270 gaming k6

On your board, if you have a M.2 drive in M2_1, SATA ports 0 and 1 are disabled. If you use M2_2, SATA ports 4 and 5 are disabled. 

Normally, ports and M.2 slots are numbered from top to bottom. You can also refer to your manual for which ports are which and move the drives to ports which aren't disabled. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

On your board, if you have a M.2 drive in M2_1, SATA ports 0 and 1 are disabled. If you use M2_2, SATA ports 4 and 5 are disabled. 

Normally, ports and M.2 slots are numbered from top to bottom. You can also refer to your manual for which ports are which and move the drives to ports which aren't disabled. 

I have an M.2 drive in both available M.2 slots, does that mean 0,1,4 and 5 are all disabled? Unfortunately I don't have access to a paper manual as I bought a prebuilt from micro center. Thanks for the help. 

2 minutes ago, Aaron G said:

Yes. 

There's a user manual you can get through ASRock's site: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6.pdf

SATA ports 2 and 3 will work and the two ports provided by the ASMedia ASM1061 controller, which are ports SATA3_A1 and A2, the lowest two SATA ports on the motherboard.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes. 

Thank you so much, you've been a world of help!! What pages were you looking at for this info?

3 minutes ago, Aaron G said:

Thank you so much, you've been a world of help!! What pages were you looking at for this info?

The specification page for your motherboard details which ports are disabled when using M.2 drives, as well as the general specs and supported M.2 drive types.  https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6/index.asp#Specification

For finding out which ports are provided my the ASMedia controller, it's pages 8 and 9 in the motherboard manual. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The specification page for your motherboard details which ports are disabled when using M.2 drives, as well as the general specs and supported M.2 drive types.  https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6/index.asp#Specification

For finding out which ports are provided my the ASMedia controller, it's pages 8 and 9 in the motherboard manual. 

Thanks again, I really appreciate It!!