i7 920 vs 2011

Go to solution Solved by juretrn,

I think the 920 still holds up well against any modern game: http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=836

Even if you were to upgrade, 2011 is not where it's at for gaming, but 1150 socket.

As for Broadwell... not much is yet known for sure, expect another 5% of performance boost compared to Haswell.

But let's face it, X58 is a pretty old platform and lacks certain features, like native USB 3.0, SATA 3 and PCI-e 3.0.

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help clear the air for me, the H80i is the biggest rad I could fit in my case, my 920 is o/c to 4.0 ghz. After 24 hrs the max temp was only 66 Celsius, I really want to upgrade to a modern cpu but I am finding it difficult to justify, I watched the comparison Linus did with the H80i vs H100i with a 2011 cpu o/c to 4.0 ghz, and the temp was 80+ Celsius with the H80i. If I upgrade I want to achieve a better o/c but I don't see how that's possible if the temps are so high. Can someone tell me why my 4 year old cpu is running 20 degrees cooler under load (about 20 C ambient), I would have thought a modern cpu would be more power efficient and therefore cooler? Would I be better off waiting for Broadwell to be released, bear in mind I only game, I o/c for the fun of it.

I think the 920 still holds up well against any modern game: http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=836

Even if you were to upgrade, 2011 is not where it's at for gaming, but 1150 socket.

As for Broadwell... not much is yet known for sure, expect another 5% of performance boost compared to Haswell.

But let's face it, X58 is a pretty old platform and lacks certain features, like native USB 3.0, SATA 3 and PCI-e 3.0.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help clear the air for me, the H80i is the biggest rad I could fit in my case, my 920 is o/c to 4.0 ghz. After 24 hrs the max temp was only 66 Celsius, I really want to upgrade to a modern cpu but I am finding it difficult to justify, I watched the comparison Linus did with the H80i vs H100i with a 2011 cpu o/c to 4.0 ghz, and the temp was 80+ Celsius with the H80i. If I upgrade I want to achieve a better o/c but I don't see how that's possible if the temps are so high. Can someone tell me why my 4 year old cpu is running 20 degrees cooler under load (about 20 C ambient), I would have thought a modern cpu would be more power efficient and therefore cooler? Would I be better off waiting for Broadwell to be released, bear in mind I only game, I o/c for the fun of it.

if you only game there is really no reason to upgrade to 2011. If you were going to upgrade it would make more sense to go with a haswell cpu. However for gaming you probably don't even need to upgrade at all at the moment unless you are running a multi gpu setup

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

well there have been alot of power saving and performance increases since the first gen core i7's honeslty performance wise i wouldbnt really change it. but platform wise i definitly would

Thanks for that, main reason for upgrade was to get sata 3, I heard there is not much of a performance benefit from PCI-e 3.0? I am just wary about upgrading from x58 if I am not going to see an improvement on the cpu side as well, but 1150 socket looks better feature wise as well ( I was thinking of the z87x).

Thanks for that, main reason for upgrade was to get sata 3, I heard there is not much of a performance benefit from PCI-e 3.0? I am just wary about upgrading from x58 if I am not going to see an improvement on the cpu side as well, but 1150 socket looks better feature wise as well ( I was thinking of the z87x).

No point to SATA 3 and no, there is NO performance gain from going to PCI-e 3.0 at this stage. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

No point to SATA 3 and no, there is NO performance gain from going to PCI-e 3.0 at this stage. 

ummmm SSD's are the point if sata 3. kind of a big deal

yeah, I put in an Adata sp9000 128 gig ssd for my boot drive, and it is awesome, wish I had done it years ago, will there be much of an improvement for my ssd going from sata 2.0 to 3.0?

ummmm SSD's are the point if sata 3. kind of a big deal

Plug an SSD into a SATA 2 port and use it. 

Then plug it into a SATA 3 port and use it. 

Do you see any difference? Doubt it unless for some reason you're doing a lot of sequential transfers. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White