socket 370 retrofit

Link238

Hey guys, was wondering if it was possible to retrofit a newer cooler onto a socket 370 sink slot. I've looked around and what i've seen says maybe but cant really find anything on it. Was wondering if it would be possible to retrofit something like a am3 onto it. I'm looking at attaching a 212 evo or maybe my captain360ex onto my p3 900. If not suggestions on the best looking and working heatsink, active or passive would be greatly appreciated as im not a huge fan of the current one

20200509_070322.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would work, but you would have to find a cooler with a pretty small contact, since those capacitors near the socket look like they could be a problem. Good luck attaching a cooler!

On 5/9/2020 at 6:04 AM, Link238 said:

-snip-

It is definitely possible! However you will have to create a mounting mechanism that will clamp the AIO/CLC block to the socket 370 tabs.

How much are you willing to spend on this to make it work?

you don't need a whole lot of mounting pressure for direct die cooling.  just the weight of the cooler is plenty.  if this is for a short term overclocking session, set the pc on it's side, add a bit of blue tac on the corners of the substrate, and simply place the cooler on top.  if this is for long term use I have had luck using thermal tape to keep lightweight heatsinks on.  you could almost certainly get away with one of dynatron's skived heatsinks

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, kkpatel87 said:

It is definitely possible! However you will have to create a mounting mechanism that will clamp the AIO/CLC block to the socket 370 tabs.

How much are you willing to spend on this to make it work?

can put in a bit of money on it, not more then a hundred i think though (cad)

I have some parts comming in to allow it to drive a bunch of new fans, mostly for looks but will also be functional. 

14 hours ago, Link238 said:

can put in a bit of money on it, not more then a hundred i think though (cad)

I have some parts comming in to allow it to drive a bunch of new fans, mostly for looks but will also be functional. 

My suggestion would be to make a bracket that latches onto both tabs and the cooler...what water block or AIO are you planning to use?