All in one

Bentley81

Alright guys, I have been doing a lot of looking around and trying to familiarize myself with all the new hardware that’s around. I built my first PC back in 200x I can’t remember the year. Since then I have just been using laptops and just recently bought an old Dell T310 server for home use. I have the build sheet on the server and would like to try and max out the storage in it since my son is now 1 and we have been taking a lot of pictures. 

I have been getting more and more into Sim racing and want to step away from the Xbox at some point. Here lies my problem. Do I build a rig I can max out storage and do away with my T310 or do I build a more dedicated gaming/content creation rig to go along side my T310. 

Budget, it always comes up in these build threads. I don’t have one right now as I am more so trying to see what I want would cost and then move foreword from there. The PC I dream to build would be something that I would hope I could stream media from, play racing sims with all the bells and whistles (minus vr because I am sure that would make me sick) and run a full suite of adobe for video and photo editing. I also have a 3D printer I would like to be able to run CAD and Solidworks. 

The tread ripper CPU’s peak my interest, the regular ryzan cpus are also clearly amazing from my reading. What gets me is when you need to make the switch. And then I get quickly lost in motherboard land. As far as storage, case and power supply are concerned I am sure I can figure that out easily. It’s the selection of CPU, gpu, ram and motherboard where I get quickly lost. I don’t care about or need WiFi on the board, I don’t need or necessarily want rgb as the computer will never be seen. I have 1 gig Ethernet currently connecting all the computers and devices in my house and would more than likely be upgrading that as the need comes. Case size also doesn’t matter. 

Please excuse any typing errors in this post as I am doing it from my phone and don’t want to go back and fix them. 

I appreciate everyone’s opinion and will answer any questions to the best of my ability. I have done a ton of reading and watching videos but haven’t yet seen or read about something like what I am looking for.  

10 minutes ago, Bentley81 said:

Alright guys, I have been doing a lot of looking around and trying to familiarize myself with all the new hardware that’s around. I built my first PC back in 200x I can’t remember the year. Since then I have just been using laptops and just recently bought an old Dell T310 server for home use. I have the build sheet on the server and would like to try and max out the storage in it since my son is now 1 and we have been taking a lot of pictures. 

I have been getting more and more into Sim racing and want to step away from the Xbox at some point. Here lies my problem. Do I build a rig I can max out storage and do away with my T310 or do I build a more dedicated gaming/content creation rig to go along side my T310. 

Budget, it always comes up in these build threads. I don’t have one right now as I am more so trying to see what I want would cost and then move foreword from there. The PC I dream to build would be something that I would hope I could stream media from, play racing sims with all the bells and whistles (minus vr because I am sure that would make me sick) and run a full suite of adobe for video and photo editing. I also have a 3D printer I would like to be able to run CAD and Solidworks. 

The tread ripper CPU’s peak my interest, the regular ryzan cpus are also clearly amazing from my reading. What gets me is when you need to make the switch. And then I get quickly lost in motherboard land. As far as storage, case and power supply are concerned I am sure I can figure that out easily. It’s the selection of CPU, gpu, ram and motherboard where I get quickly lost. I don’t care about or need WiFi on the board, I don’t need or necessarily want rgb as the computer will never be seen. I have 1 gig Ethernet currently connecting all the computers and devices in my house and would more than likely be upgrading that as the need comes. Case size also doesn’t matter. 

Please excuse any typing errors in this post as I am doing it from my phone and don’t want to go back and fix them. 

I appreciate everyone’s opinion and will answer any questions to the best of my ability. I have done a ton of reading and watching videos but haven’t yet seen or read about something like what I am looking for.  

So Inc shorter terms you want a threadripper PC that can do anything for no budget

3 minutes ago, Bentley81 said:

If you build a rig to max out storage, then like if you want to access that data your pc will need to be on, if thats not a problem then sure. But you can save money by using ur existing server. Heres a list for both replacement and a dedicated rig, just remove the HDD if you want to keep the T310. 

Stay away from Threadripper. The 3950x is such good value, 16 cores and a much higher clock speed for gaming. Heres a list I have but feel free to change parts based on your perference: Again, the hard drive is only there if you keep the T310, MB has Intel 1gb LAN

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zY8ZHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($737.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 Blackout 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($141.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($299.00 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Seagate IronWolf Pro 16 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($521.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($759.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: be quiet! Dark Base 700 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($195.83 @ Walmart) 
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($26.90 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($25.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3338.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-15 18:53 EDT-0400

3 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

So Inc shorter terms you want a threadripper PC that can do anything for no budget

Take a page from django_keyes and if you have something informative to post then do it... If you don't have anything useful to add then don't.

Thanks for your time...

3 hours ago, django_keyes said:

If you build a rig to max out storage, then like if you want to access that data your pc will need to be on, if thats not a problem then sure. But you can save money by using ur existing server. Heres a list for both replacement and a dedicated rig, just remove the HDD if you want to keep the T310. 

Stay away from Threadripper. The 3950x is such good value, 16 cores and a much higher clock speed for gaming. Heres a list I have but feel free to change parts based on your perference: Again, the hard drive is only there if you keep the T310, MB has Intel 1gb LAN

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zY8ZHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($737.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 Blackout 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($141.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($299.00 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Seagate IronWolf Pro 16 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($521.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($759.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: be quiet! Dark Base 700 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($195.83 @ Walmart) 
Total: $3338.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-15 18:53 EDT-0400

This looks awesome and just the kind of thing I was thinking about.  I am happy to keep the T310 and just deck it out with drives to maintain a dedicated server with RAID in the event I have a failure.  I was torn between just getting a Ryzen 9 or going to a threadripper.  Why do you say stay away from the threadripper?  It would be nice to shut down the gaming rig to preserve its life especially since the T310 is relatively energy efficient. 

Thank you very much for your insight and a build list!

1 minute ago, Bentley81 said:

This looks awesome and just the kind of thing I was thinking about.  I am happy to keep the T310 and just deck it out with drives to maintain a dedicated server with RAID in the event I have a failure.  I was torn between just getting a Ryzen 9 or going to a threadripper.  Why do you say stay away from the threadripper?  It would be nice to shut down the gaming rig to preserve its life especially since the T310 is relatively energy efficient. 

Thank you very much for your insight and a build list!

The Treadripper chips are actually not good gaming CPUs. They have a low clock speed and poor single core performance. For many games, they only use 2-6 cores. No game uses over like 12. The 3950x has 16 cores for content creation, but crucially a lower cost, cheaper platform, and most importantly, significantly higher clock speed. With the x570-E from Asus, and a 360mm AIO, pushing a stable OC should be easy. If you have the extra cash, the Asus Crosshair VIII Hero is a better board but 60 more so I didn't include it. Yeah just take out the hard drive and u have a sick gaming rig. You could replace the harddrive with a smaller one or increase the size of the m.2 SSD. With the extra money from the hard drive, you could actually buy a 2080ti, but I would not recommend it, NVidia is set to announce the 3000 series soon, after this stupid virus anyway. 

9 minutes ago, django_keyes said:

The Treadripper chips are actually not good gaming CPUs. They have a low clock speed and poor single core performance. For many games, they only use 2-6 cores. No game uses over like 12. The 3950x has 16 cores for content creation, but crucially a lower cost, cheaper platform, and most importantly, significantly higher clock speed. With the x570-E from Asus, and a 360mm AIO, pushing a stable OC should be easy. If you have the extra cash, the Asus Crosshair VIII Hero is a better board but 60 more so I didn't include it. Yeah just take out the hard drive and u have a sick gaming rig. You could replace the harddrive with a smaller one or increase the size of the m.2 SSD. With the extra money from the hard drive, you could actually buy a 2080ti, but I would not recommend it, NVidia is set to announce the 3000 series soon, after this stupid virus anyway. 

That's good information to know! I will look into that motherboard since I will be taking the 16TB drive out and just use another M.2 or a smaller spinny drive to have some storage overhead. I would be tempted to wait for the 3000 series to come out and pick up a 2080ti when the prices drop on it.  This is going to be something I build over the next few months and price shop it since I know a lot of other big things are happening.  It's not something that I need tomorrow.  I also need to look at the build sheet on my T310 and see which RAID card it has so I know what drives I can buy for it as well.

Again, thanks for the great information and help!

16 minutes ago, django_keyes said:

Oh and I feel bad for Vettel, Leclerc really put the pressure on him last year.  I am awaiting this year to fire up so we can see some more good racing.  I can lie though I am a Leclerc fan after last year.

27 minutes ago, Bentley81 said:

Oh and I feel bad for Vettel, Leclerc really put the pressure on him last year.  I am awaiting this year to fire up so we can see some more good racing.  I can lie though I am a Leclerc fan after last year.

AYEEEE ANOTHER F1 Fan dope yeah Im a Redbull guy Verstappen is amazing, went to Canada and saw the Vettel Hamilton think it was insane, most races you walk away form the track excited and happy, everyone was dead silent, this is the shit they didn't talk about on tv

29 minutes ago, Bentley81 said:

Also what I am saying is that you shouldn't get the 2080ti you should get the 3080ti or whatever if your gonna spend that much money

11 hours ago, django_keyes said:

AYEEEE ANOTHER F1 Fan dope yeah Im a Redbull guy Verstappen is amazing, went to Canada and saw the Vettel Hamilton think it was insane, most races you walk away form the track excited and happy, everyone was dead silent, this is the shit they didn't talk about on tv

11 hours ago, django_keyes said:

Also what I am saying is that you shouldn't get the 2080ti you should get the 3080ti or whatever if your gonna spend that much money

Been watching it all my life. My dad was a hardcore Schumi fan. I love the tenacity that Verstappen has. I was at the US GP when Kimi won the race. I have always been a Kimi fan so that was the best day for me!

I see what your saying. It would be better to wait and get the new card instead of settling for the what will become old card. 

28 minutes ago, Bentley81 said:

Been watching it all my life. My dad was a hardcore Schumi fan. I love the tenacity that Verstappen has. I was at the US GP when Kimi won the race. I have always been a Kimi fan so that was the best day for me!

I see what your saying. It would be better to wait and get the new card instead of settling for the what will become old card. 

Yep, new cards will be super fast. Happy I could help, pm me when you start the buying process!

12 hours ago, django_keyes said:

Yep, new cards will be super fast. Happy I could help, pm me when you start the buying process!

Will do!