dedicated video camera suggestions

i have been asked to find a video camera for my scout group, that will be around £100-£200, probs shoot 1080p, it will should have a common tripod stand mount.

what do you guys think of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CX280-Full-HD-Handycam/dp/B00AWME0QG/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1391955034&sr=1-2&keywords=digital+video+camera
Sony CX280 Full HD Handycam - Black (50x Extended Zoom)
£169.76

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-V210-Full-Camcorder-Intelligent/dp/B00B170BM8/ref=sr_1_19?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1391955034&sr=1-19&keywords=digital+video+camera
Panasonic V210 Full HD Camcorder - Black (10 MP, 1920 x 1080P, 1MOS Sensor, 72x Intelligent Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
£193.45

cheers for any replies

Just a guy with a beard

Tough choice, both are very similar.  If you could I would say try to find them in a store and try them out, but since your ordering online I'm assuming you don't have that option.  Other wise try to read reviews to find the cons and pros of both of the cameras and make your decision off of that.

Without testing and asking strangers opinions? ...hmmmmm... I'd say the Handycam.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

I'd recommend the Handycam, though mainly because I've had experiences with a bit worse Handycam, Sony CX260VE. If you're only shooting video, it'll be great. The quality is quite good (although when zoomed past 15x optical zoom, focusing is quite slow) and the image stabilizer works really well. Keep in mind though that neither of those camcorders are weather sealed, so you should think twice when recording something outdoors when it's raining...

Both should have tripod mounts. I don't know about the Panasonic V210, but the CX280 should have an external mic input, if you need it.

Oh, and keep in mind that the Handycam's optical zoom is ''only'' 30x (though still enough for most things), and the extended, digital zoom is rather pointless. Make's the quality crappy, like pretty much any camcorder's digital zoom.

Need more info? Just ask and I'll answer as much as I can.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I'd recommend the Handycam, though mainly because I've had experiences with a bit worse Handycam, Sony CX260VE. If you're only shooting video, it'll be great. The quality is quite good (although when zoomed past 15x optical zoom, focusing is quite slow) and the image stabilizer works really well. Keep in mind though that neither of those camcorders are weather sealed, so you should think twice when recording something outdoors when it's raining...

Both should have tripod mounts. I don't know about the Panasonic V210, but the CX280 should have an external mic input, if you need it.

Oh, and keep in mind that the Handycam's optical zoom is ''only'' 30x (though still enough for most things), and the extended, digital zoom is rather pointless. Make's the quality crappy, like pretty much any camcorder's digital zoom.

Need more info? Just ask and I'll answer as much as I can.

Without testing and asking strangers opinions? ...hmmmmm... I'd say the Handycam.

Tough choice, both are very similar.  If you could I would say try to find them in a store and try them out, but since your ordering online I'm assuming you don't have that option.  Other wise try to read reviews to find the cons and pros of both of the cameras and make your decision off of that.

thanks for the advice guys, might try find a store that has them to see if i can get a preview of them before purchase.

Just a guy with a beard