Upgrade or not ?

R001

Hello,

I have an HP 2000 with Windows 8.1 and Norton End point 12.1, the CPU is weak and ram is barely enough and you can notice delay in doing stuff

I am thinking of installing windows 10 and AVG instead but afraid to have negative results or at best no change in performance, what do you think?

20 minutes ago, R001 said:

Hello,

I have an HP 2000 with Windows 8.1 and Norton End point 12.1, the CPU is weak and ram is barely enough and you can notice delay in doing stuff

I am thinking of installing windows 10 and AVG instead but afraid to have negative results or at best no change in performance, what do you think?

Are you sure the CPU and RAM are the bottle neck? What kind of specs do you have that make you think these are your bottle neck?

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

22 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Are you sure the CPU and RAM are the bottle neck? What kind of specs do you have that make you think these are your bottle neck?

it doesn't have a GPU and there is no gaming or graphics processing involved, what is there to bottle neck a PC beside those two?

4 minutes ago, R001 said:

it doesn't have a GPU and there is no gaming or graphics processing involved, what is there to bottle neck a PC beside those two?

Hard drive can be a victim as well. I just looked up what you said you had, my apologize I should have done that before, and now realize what you're working with.

Your laptop is definitely outdated and is very slow according to reviews. I don't think upgrading windows will improve your state. In fact, I think it'll make your speeds worse. I don't know what your budget looks like but I recommend getting something of higher spec (I recommend something in the $500-1000 range for laptops if it's just for work). Your laptop you have now just isn't worth the hassle anymore.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

4 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Hard drive can be a victim as well. I just looked up what you said you had, my apologize I should have done that before, and now realize what you're working with.

Your laptop is definitely outdated and is very slow according to reviews. I don't think upgrading windows will improve your state. In fact, I think it'll make your speeds worse. I don't know what your budget looks like but I recommend getting something of higher spec (I recommend something in the $500-1000 range for laptops if it's just for work). Your laptop you have now just isn't worth the hassle anymore.

It's kind of you to help, thanks!

yes I know it is old but purchasing is out of the picture right now so I want to do whatever is possible for me,I watched the performance monitor and CPU (AMD E-300 <---crap) was at 99% most of the time but I said RAM too because is 4GB is not fully seen by 64bit OS and I know it's not enough so it must be contributing too but not much is visible on performance monitor so mainly CPU.

1.  I scanned PC with malwarebytes

2. I removed software from start up like Power DVD and Camera and wild tangent software and disabled anything non critical

3. I removed some apps from metro that show news and gif of wallpapers

4. I adjusted power management to always use performance even on battery

5. In advanced system settings I chose performance option and disabled all visual enhancements except fonts

I read that windows 10 is better compared to windows 8 but that could be only correct with good specs not old laptop but I am not sure, that is why I posted my question

I have doubts about Norton End point being heavy but I am just not sure compared to latest AVG.

I know it's a lost cause but if you have more ideas how to enhance performance let me know

Personally given your situation, I'd remove Norton all together. Windows Defender is actually very good now and the less load you have on an older system like that the better off you are.

2. I removed software from start up like Power DVD and Camera and wild tangent software and disabled anything non critical

Wild Tangent is pretty much just malware, I wouldn't just stop it from starting up, I'd remove it. 

3 hours ago, lloose said:

Personally given your situation, I'd remove Norton all together. Windows Defender is actually very good now and the less load you have on an older system like that the better off you are.

Wild Tangent is pretty much just malware, I wouldn't just stop it from starting up, I'd remove it. 

Malwarebytes didn't see it as threat but I don't see it now, it must have been removed when I uninstalled something that included many demo games