Computer Keeps Shutting Off Randomly

RCrowley49

So, I have a custom gaming pc that I built in 2017, and in 2018 I had to replace my motherboard. Now, when my computer randomly shuts off. Like the other day I was playing Minecraft and alt-tabbed and had a website open on my second monitor that i was browsing and it shut off. So I don’t know what it is but I think it’s overheating. Any ideas or ways to test it? 

My specs:

• Intel i7-7700k
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING, 11GB
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
  • Corsair AXi Series, AX860i
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000
  • Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD 7200 RPM SATA
    6Gb/s 64MB Cache
  • Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5­Inch SATA III Internal SSD
  • Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
  • ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA

You can check if it is overheating by downloading monitoring software such as HWMonitor or HWInfo and checking your temperatures. Your CPU temp should be under 90C and if it goes over 100C then the computer will power off to protect against damage. The same program should be able to monitor GPU temps as well, but I find that MSI Afterburner with its Rivatuner extension does a better job. You can get an overlay on top of your games to see your temps in real time to check if that is an issue.

I don't think it is overheating, it might be a problem with your PSU, but it is unlikely since the Corsair AX series is extremely high quality and that wattage seems fine. It might be an issue with your Windows installation as Windows does not like when you replace the motherboard without reinstalling in most cases. It could be bluescreening but shutting down too fast for you to see the bluescreen, making it look like a hard power off.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

4 hours ago, Husky said:

You can check if it is overheating by downloading monitoring software such as HWMonitor or HWInfo and checking your temperatures. Your CPU temp should be under 90C and if it goes over 100C then the computer will power off to protect against damage. The same program should be able to monitor GPU temps as well, but I find that MSI Afterburner with its Rivatuner extension does a better job. You can get an overlay on top of your games to see your temps in real time to check if that is an issue.

I don't think it is overheating, it might be a problem with your PSU, but it is unlikely since the Corsair AX series is extremely high quality and that wattage seems fine. It might be an issue with your Windows installation as Windows does not like when you replace the motherboard without reinstalling in most cases. It could be bluescreening but shutting down too fast for you to see the bluescreen, making it look like a hard power off.

Once it power offs if I try to hit the power button on the front the lights change to my custom settings and there is a click and it turns off again. After a while or turning the PSU off and back on, it usually will turn on. Last time though, turning the PSU off and on again didn’t work. 

14 hours ago, RCrowley49 said:

Once it power offs if I try to hit the power button on the front the lights change to my custom settings and there is a click and it turns off again. After a while or turning the PSU off and back on, it usually will turn on. Last time though, turning the PSU off and on again didn’t work. 

Did you check the thermals?

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

14 hours ago, Husky said:

I’m home right now and my computer is at college so I will run a test when I return 

On 11/30/2019 at 8:33 AM, Husky said:

So thermals came back fine. It happened again. I was idling it, with no applications running and it went to a hard shut off. I had to unplug the plug and plug it back in to get it to turn on again.