Optimus vs G-Sync

Hello LTT-forum,

I've just joined the forum because I found an interesting video about Optimus vs G-Sync https://youtu.be/RJfHr-Y57LY and I hope to get some more insight on the topic. This would also be a great video for the youtube-channel and I'd apreciate if you could explain when the intel gpu is the bottleneck on framerates and when not. Probably limited bandwith, thus a limited amount of fps can be send through the intel chip. As he explained in his video optimus can switch between the gpu on the processor and the dedicated gpu. That's why either Optimus or G-Sync will work on most laptops. I found one with a MUX-desing (not sure how that actually works, some kind of dedicated signal processor for the screen?) where you can reboot and choose between Optimus and G-Sync but most notebooks don't have that.

I kind of want a notebook with G-Sync, but I'm concerned the dedicated gpu will produce more more power consumption/heat/noise than the intel gpu on light load applications. If I buy a notebook with Optimus i might waste money on a faster GPU and the limitation of bandwith won't add any performance. If you could test that for me it would be great, maybe with a new i7-9750H paired with a rtx2060 or rtx2070, which would be my preferred solution to buy.

so in short form:

- power consumption optimus vs. nvidia rtx on light loads

- is optimus a big limitation to rtx notebooks

additional question: is it worth to choose 2x 8GB DDR4-3000 CL16-18-18 over 2x 8GB DDR4-2666 CL18-19-19 in a notebook?

sincerely,

Christopher

Optimus_Whitepaper_FINAL.pdf