Hardware Failures When Running Multiple DIMMs

After completing my latest build, I noticed that the system can take up to a minute to post. I am using a Ryzen 5 3600 with an MSI B450 Tomahawk board and 16gb of 3200mz memory.

Additionally, the system would occasionally blue screen with the code MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and both AIDA64 and the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool reported memory hardware failures.

After removing one of the two DIMMs, the post times dropped to only a few seconds and there were no detected hardware failures. This was identical across both DIMMs when tested one at a time. 

However, when I tested running both DIMMs at the same time, the errors reappeared, regardless of which slots the DIMMs occupied. I also tested the DIMMs in dual and single-channel configurations, and the errors persisted.

Additionally, changing the memory timings in the BIOS causes the system to fail to post until I reset the CMOS.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem, or is this more likely a failure of the motherboard/CPU memory controller?

Thanks all.

TLDR: System behaves normally when using only one 8gb DIMM, but crashes and reports hardware errors with 2 DIMMs in any configuration.

try reseating the cpu, this would be more common on an lga socket, but it could be that

if not then talk to the vendor you might need to rma the motherboard

I don't know exact solution for this problem to be more honest with you, but i need to ask you just for information:

- You have 4 memory slots, and your problem occurred when using both DIMMs, for example 1 and 3 are dual-channel or 2 and 4, so did you try install one 8GB RAM in a slot, and the other 8GB RAM in different slot but not the DIMM one? for example 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

If you tried out, is it still crashing and blue screen??

sorry if my english is a little bad.

3 hours ago, The Strange said:

I don't know exact solution for this problem to be more honest with you, but i need to ask you just for information:

- You have 4 memory slots, and your problem occurred when using both DIMMs, for example 1 and 3 are dual-channel or 2 and 4, so did you try install one 8GB RAM in a slot, and the other 8GB RAM in different slot but not the DIMM one? for example 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

If you tried out, is it still crashing and blue screen??

sorry if my english is a little bad.

Yes, I’ve tried all of the slot configurations available to me and I still get inconsistent crashes and boot times. 

3 hours ago, MrTsao9 said:

Yes, I’ve tried all of the slot configurations available to me and I still get inconsistent crashes and boot times. 

I mean to you: don't use dual-channel, just only single channel for both 8GB RAMs as i mentioned above. (A 8GB RAM in a channel, and the other one at different channel, don't use dual-channel)

If its still crashing and blue screens, so you have to specify the correct reason why its crashing, and it can be a RAM problem or a motherboard problem, you need to make some kind of debugging, but you need for it a properly working motherboard that its well-known to be working good and not faulty, then test your RAM with, if its not crashing then its a motherboard problem, and if its crashing then its a RAM problem, if you got all of your build parts from the same store, maybe it can help you in that.

Actually in my own perspective, mostly it points to a motherboard problem as @BubblyCharizard said, but you need to make sure from that, you can send your motherboard or RAM to warranty but maybe they will reply saying that one of them is not faulty, here you gonna waste more time. So try to do some debugging as i explained above, if you didn't get your build parts from the same store, then look for some maintenance shop, or a friend of yours that has same motherboard or a different model that supports Ryzen CPUs to help.

As i said from the beginning i don't know exact solution so that's just my own perspective, hope it helps.