Liquid metal on laptop update

Back in 2017 ish I purchased an alienware 17 r4 for college.  It has a GTX1070 and the i7 7820hk which I overclocked to 4.7GHz.  It was a champ at everything I wanted it to do and when I switched peofiles to my underclock of 1GHz it would go for a long time on battery for my classes.  Obviously it made a ton of heat and so I fixed the cooling on it.  Both the cpu and gpu got LM and all of the thermal pads were replaced with fujipoly ones.  The chipset even got its own little heatsink feom a raspberry pi.

At my 1GHz setting it never saw above 40C,  at stock 2.7-3.something it never went above 65c and at my overclock of 4.7 it never hit 90c.  The cooler was doing a really good job thanks to iunlock.  Also a lot of time tuning the undervolt.

It has been 2 years since then and I dont really game or benchmark it anymore.  So when I did finally launch a game again I noticed it would hit 99c instantly.  I opened it up and checked the LM. 20190518_142101.thumb.jpg.2df34047ace0b469ef5b92bb3312eeb5.jpg

The LM had dried up, mostly on the cpu (smaller of the 2 dies) while the gpu was still ok.  The gpu never really got all that hot, even stock.  The lighter colored spot is actually a solid chunk.

20190518_142107.thumb.jpg.beaedee201929d7eb3894360bee23ccb.jpg

Here is the heatsink side and it didnt fare any better obviously.  It took the most work to clean up since the LM soaks into the copper while it pretty much just wipes off the dies, usually...  I had to use a razor blade to get the dried LM off the dies as well as do the same for the heatsink.  Afterward I polished the heatsink since it was super scratched up.

20190518_143945.thumb.jpg.db282449faeb9be9a076525225d18aa5.jpg

here is a little closer shot of the heatsink.  My phone camera kind of sucks sorry.

I lost the pictures of the after but the LM left a stain on the heatsink and the dies cleaned of nicely.  I didnt do LM again now that this laptop is just a fancy youtube machine.  The only reason I am posting this is to report my experience with LM not to criticise it.  If there are any questions I will try to reply today but it may be pretty late before I can check.

The experienceses you are having with the LM is normal and expected after a period of time. The components still work fine right? 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

56 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

The experienceses you are having with the LM is normal and expected after a period of time. The components still work fine right? 

Yes afyer a repaste they are much better. No more thermal problems.  What is interesting is that my desktop lasted close to 3 years with no repaste and it still didnt have any problems.