PC-Build Questions

Jp42nca
Go to solution Solved by vK 3 1 RON,

I'm going to try my best, but please let others correct me XD

• No, the CPU doesn't need a driver but the motherboard does need a Chipset driver. 

• Normally I'd go into BIOS first thing and make sure the boot order is set up correctly, this is the order in which the motherboard will try to read data from when booting up. If you use a USB to install windows as I normally do - put the USB first, followed by the EVO. This means that the motherboard will read the USB and go 'Oh! There's data here, let's use it!" And it'll take you to an application where you can choose whichever drive you want to install Windows to. This would be the Evo for you. After you've installed windows, then I'd get the drivers. I just go between all the manufacturer's websites and pick the latest ones, shouldn't be too much of an issue. The motherboard usually requires: Chipset, Audio, LAN, USB and SATA. Plus a VGA if you decide to use integrated graphics. You're using integrated graphics right? So there's no GPU drivers to install other than that VGA. (Note: Booting into windows will most likely be fine without any drivers installed, default ones can get you operational. So if you come across something and it's not working how you expect, check if there's any drivers! No harm in it, just worse performance)

• Windows 10 comes first :)

• I kind of answered that one already but I'll do it again more clearly : I've never used device manager to update drivers, but I suppose that's possible. It won't be highlighted but if you use the drivers I already said and right click -> Update. I think? You can check that. I just type in the component and brand followed by 'drivers' on google and look around on the respective website for them. But they do have default drivers which will work until you get new ones, do note, I'm not sure but it's possible the internet won't work until you get the LAN/Ethernet whatever driver so you might have to install it from another PC - but you have yours so I'm sure you can do that if it comes down to worst-case scenario. Just put it on a USB and transfer it to Wife's system :) 

• When you're installing Windows, I'm sure that it formats it for you after you boot from the USB and begin to install. This does wipe everything from the drive beforehand though so be sure there's nothing important on it : Although I don't see why there would be :P

I am doing my 2nd pc build, my first was for work, I do real estate photography & use Lightroom (Lr) & Photoshop (Ps). I have no problem putting the components together however when it comes to installing the drivers, Windows 10, getting into the Bios and checking the proper boxes I'm at a loss, what gets done first, does it make a difference, etc...I had a local computer guy install everything on my first build. This time around I would like to attempt to do it myself here in lies all the questions. I am computer savvy to a point, very mechanically skilled but when it comes to the inner workings I get it to a point but have plenty of questions, my son says I'm making it harder then it really is, just afraid of making a mistake. I seem to run into a wall & it is frustrating to say the least. Hoping for some help from the forum.

This time it's a build for my wife who is a realtor & will be using it for personal use & work, everything she does is web based (neither one of us are gamer's just to put that out there). She doesn't do photo editing or have the need for a graphics card. She didn't want a mid-size tower like mine, preferred something stylish with a small footprint on her desk. My son was home for the holiday's and together we picked out the components we thought would serve her well, smaller case with a Mini-ATX Motherboard. Here is what we decided to purchase, all new and in the box.

Case:

NZXT H400i - MicroATX PC Gaming Case - RGB Lighting and Fan Control - CAM-Powered Smart Device - Tempered Glass Panel - Enhanced Cable Management System – Water-Cooling Ready - Black

Motherboard:

ASUS ROG Strix B360-I Gaming LGA1151 (Intel 8th Gen) DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 B360 Mini ITX Motherboard

CPU:

Intel Core i5 Destop Processor (i5-8400 LGA1151)

SSD:

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)

O/S:

Windows 10 (Home)

Cooling:

CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 120mm Radiator, 120mm SP Series PWM Fan

Power Supply:

Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020102-NA)

Questions: (There might be some basic pc questions so bare with me, learning has been self taught by videos and articles I've read)

* Does the CPU need a driver installed?

* Do I need to get into the Bios & do anything first before installing the drivers for the motherboard & Windows 10?

* What gets installed first motherboard drivers or Windows 10?

* I read that different components on a motherboard also require drivers to communicate with the O/S & some drivers come from Windows own driver store, others from the computer or motherboard manufacturer. Says I can identify the motherboard driver via 

Device Manager. How do I know which one to choose? Will it be highlighted? It also went onto to saying that Windows 10 might install the drivers that are needed automatically? Is this true or do I have to instruct it to select the driver? 

* Now onto the SSD. Should I format it first on my working pc before installing it in the build? Does it matter, it just came from the manufacturer. 

As you can see I really need an easy to follow step by step instructions and also need to fully understand what I'm doing to make sense of it all in my head. I've watched many YT videos & follow along to a point then get lost, it starts to go over my head because I don't have anyone to answer questions along the way. 

If anyone can help answer my questions or provide a step by step (I know its asking a lot) or direct me to a site or video that could help I would be gratefult. I haven't started the build yet because all the components haven't arrived, the rest will be here after the first of the year. Just trying to gear up & get ready. 

Thanks for reading my post. I appreciate all who answer & help quide me through this maze.

jp

The CPU will not need a driver installed;

There are no drivers for the motherboard and the current bios on the board will support the CPU - you just have to install windows;

Most things are plug and play - you can identify and upgrade certain drivers yourself or use a programme such as driver booster to do it for you (however there are some *issues* with that programme that people have had) .

The SSD should be fine, no formatting should be required.

Feel free to ask more questions if I haven't cleared anything up..

subscribe to pewdiepie

I'm going to try my best, but please let others correct me XD

• No, the CPU doesn't need a driver but the motherboard does need a Chipset driver. 

• Normally I'd go into BIOS first thing and make sure the boot order is set up correctly, this is the order in which the motherboard will try to read data from when booting up. If you use a USB to install windows as I normally do - put the USB first, followed by the EVO. This means that the motherboard will read the USB and go 'Oh! There's data here, let's use it!" And it'll take you to an application where you can choose whichever drive you want to install Windows to. This would be the Evo for you. After you've installed windows, then I'd get the drivers. I just go between all the manufacturer's websites and pick the latest ones, shouldn't be too much of an issue. The motherboard usually requires: Chipset, Audio, LAN, USB and SATA. Plus a VGA if you decide to use integrated graphics. You're using integrated graphics right? So there's no GPU drivers to install other than that VGA. (Note: Booting into windows will most likely be fine without any drivers installed, default ones can get you operational. So if you come across something and it's not working how you expect, check if there's any drivers! No harm in it, just worse performance)

• Windows 10 comes first :)

• I kind of answered that one already but I'll do it again more clearly : I've never used device manager to update drivers, but I suppose that's possible. It won't be highlighted but if you use the drivers I already said and right click -> Update. I think? You can check that. I just type in the component and brand followed by 'drivers' on google and look around on the respective website for them. But they do have default drivers which will work until you get new ones, do note, I'm not sure but it's possible the internet won't work until you get the LAN/Ethernet whatever driver so you might have to install it from another PC - but you have yours so I'm sure you can do that if it comes down to worst-case scenario. Just put it on a USB and transfer it to Wife's system :) 

• When you're installing Windows, I'm sure that it formats it for you after you boot from the USB and begin to install. This does wipe everything from the drive beforehand though so be sure there's nothing important on it : Although I don't see why there would be :P

4 minutes ago, Jp42nca said:

vK 31 RON, Appreciate your help. Thx

No problem buddy - it's always good to look at a tutorial or some images from (perhaps the manual) of the motherboard to see what the BIOS looks like. The boot order for me was as simple as dragging some icons into the order I want them to go through but sometimes you need to go into a 'Boot' menu, then something else, it varies a lot between the motherboards :)