Alienware 18 Rattling

MikeyyMC

Hey friends, 

im visiting a very close gaming friend of mine and her computer has started making a rather loud rattling noise, and im convinced that its coming from a fan from maybe the graphics card or something. The computer wasnt having high temps and wasnt under a very heavy load (only running wow and discord) she has the laptop on a thermaltake laptop cooler and has 1 external monitor, which is a recent upgrade, running from the hdmi port on the alienware 18. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Do you hear the rattling noise with the laptop cooler as well?

Yeah she never takes it off the cooler. We unplugged the cooler yesterday and inspected just the laptop and know exactly WHERE the rattle is coming from we just dont know the cause or how to fix it.

Just now, MikeyyMC said:

Yeah she never takes it off the cooler. We unplugged the cooler yesterday and inspected just the laptop and know exactly where the rattle is coming from

Is it inside or outside the warranty period?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is it inside or outside the warranty period?

Im assuming outside the warranty, shes had the laptop a very long time

Just now, MikeyyMC said:

Im assuming outside the warranty, shes had the laptop a very long time

Then order a replacement fan from somewhere(could probably find it on Ebay), pop the laptop open, and replace it.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Then order a replacement fan from somewhere(could probably find it on Ebay), pop the laptop open, and replace it.

What @Crunchy Dragon said. ifixit should have a guide on how to do it (most probably) If not, Youtube should be helpful. 

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

22 minutes ago, MikeyyMC said:

-snip-

Also, try cleaning the fan with a compressed air can. I have had some debris stuck in the fan and blowing air helped.

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

2 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

What @Crunchy Dragon said. ifixit should have a guide on how to do it (most probably) If not, Youtube should be helpful. 

Any laptop teardown guide will give you a pretty good idea of how to get inside, I've only looked up a couple teardown guides during the many laptops I've opened up.

Usually you'll have to take off all the panels and screws on the bottom, take out the HDD(and ODD if present), remove the keyboard, unplug all the necessary cables, and then you can just crack it right open.