building new workstation

nanashi

Hi guys, after 7 years of using my current PC I have decided that I need a new rig and I will need some help in making some choices. I'm a 3D artist so I mainly use my PC for 3d modeling - Rendering and video editing and some overwatch for gaming. the softwares I use on are: Maya - Zbrush - substance painter - substance designer - Marmoset - Photoshop - After Effect - Premiere pro - Marvelous designer. when getting more experience my work or projects and getting bigger and bigger in term of polygons..etc so I this is the PC build i'm going for and I hope to get some feedback and advice.

CPU Intel Core i7-8700K

Motherboard ( I need an advice ) :I want to get the  Asus Prime Z370-A but it seems out of stock right now where I live (Kuala lumpur) so my second option is Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master but I feel its a bit too expensive and not worth the price , please advice me. 

CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15

Ram : CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz CL15

Graphics card ( I need an advice ) : RTX 2070 or RTX 2070 ? the deference between them is here is 250 USD so for my usage which one should I go for ?  

PSU ( I need an advice ) : I'm going for the evga supernova 650 G+ but is 650 watt enough ? or should I go for 750 watt ?

Case : fractal design - meshify C 

Storage ( I need an advice ) : I have 2TB HDD and a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB for the system ( from my current rig ) , but i'm thinking to add another M.2 SSD for the programs and format my current Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB for the operating system or what do you guys think ? 

I really appreciate the help guys. 

why not a 2700 or 1700?

nh-d15 or dark rock pro 4 are great coolers

2070 or 1070 ti will do just fine for this

650 watt is more then enough, althrough I would look for some higher quality for a workstation psu.

case is a good choise

well, m.2 makes sense as a scratch disk, sounds fine to me

4 minutes ago, nanashi said:

Hi guys, after 7 years of using my current PC I have decided that I need a new rig and I will need some help in making some choices. I'm a 3D artist so I mainly use my PC for 3d modeling - Rendering and video editing and some overwatch for gaming. the softwares I use on are: Maya - Zbrush - substance painter - substance designer - Marmoset - Photoshop - After Effect - Premiere pro - Marvelous designer. when getting more experience my work or projects and getting bigger and bigger in term of polygons..etc so I this is the PC build i'm going for and I hope to get some feedback and advice.

CPU Intel Core i7-8700K

Motherboard ( I need an advice ) :I want to get the  Asus Prime Z370-A but it seems out of stock right now where I live (Kuala lumpur) so my second option is Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master but I feel its a bit too expensive and not worth the price , please advice me. 

CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15

Ram : CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz CL15

Graphics card ( I need an advice ) : RTX 2070 or RTX 2070 ? the deference between them is here is 250 USD so for my usage which one should I go for ?  

PSU ( I need an advice ) : I'm going for the evga supernova 650 G+ but is 650 watt enough ? or should I go for 750 watt ?

Case : fractal design - meshify C 

Storage ( I need an advice ) : I have 2TB HDD and a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB for the system ( from my current rig ) , but i'm thinking to add another M.2 SSD for the programs and format my current Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB for the operating system or what do you guys think ? 

I really appreciate the help guys. 

I think 3D Modeling relies more on single core performance on the CPU, so going for Intel should be a good choice.

Are there any other Z370 choices in KL? Z390 motherboards are pretty expensive.

If im not wrong 3D modeling benefits from a powerful GPU, so I’d go for 2080.

650W is enough but 750W won’t hurt, and gives you the option to upgrade to more power consuming parts in the future. Just remember to get one thats Semi-Modular/Modular and 80+ Gold rated

Getting another NVME M.2 Drive like a 970 Evo/Pro or Corsair MP510 should be fine 

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

I think 3D Modeling relies more on single core performance on the CPU, so going for Intel should be a good choice.

as far as I know it actually isn't. Solidworks for example is heavily core/tread intensive

2 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

the prices are pretty much the same these days

2 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

for that purpose a quadro would be heavily outperforming it

3 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

650W is enough but 750W won’t hurt, and gives you the option to upgrade to more power consuming parts in the future. Just remember to get one thats Semi-Modular/Modular and 80+ Gold rated

that's some terrible advice. most single cpu/gpu systems don't use that much. and effecienty says litterally nothing about build quality. the g3 is worse than a rmx for example (not that the g3 is a bad one, it has it's own problems). 

4 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Getting another NVME M.2 Drive like a 970 Evo/Pro or Corsair MP510 should be fine 

well, that's not a bad advice.

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

as far as I know it actually isn't. Solidworks for example is heavily core/tread intensive

My bad. Didn’t know that.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Well the prices in Singapore are vastly different the last time I checked, and Kuala Lumpur’s and Singapore’s prices shouldn’t differ too much.

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

that's some terrible advice. most single cpu/gpu systems don't use that much. and effecienty says litterally nothing about build quality. the g3 is worse than a rmx for example (not that the g3 is a bad one, it has it's own problems). 

Well in that case OP should refer to the PSU tier list then. 

On 12/5/2018 at 9:50 PM, LukeSavenije said:

why not a 2700 or 1700?

nh-d15 or dark rock pro 4 are great coolers

2070 or 1070 ti will do just fine for this

650 watt is more then enough, althrough I would look for some higher quality for a workstation psu.

case is a good choise

well, m.2 makes sense as a scratch disk, sounds fine to me

Thanks guys for the fast reply and I really appreciate the help.

I did not ' get what  you mean by 2700 or 1700 ??

yeah i'm thinking to save up some money and to go for the 2070 because it will cost the same as the 1070TI, my heart is telling me to go all out for the 2080 but my mind is telling me to save up and go for the 2070 so I will leave this to the last moment.

oh I didn't know that the evga supernova 650 G+ is a bad one , can you Suggest  any good ones ? from my research these name came up a lot Corsair RM750x what do you think of it ?

On 12/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, _d0nut said:

For Modeling  itself I will need to get a CPU that has the highest Clock possible and the I 8700k is perfect for that. 

there are a lot of choices but every time I do a research I get lost so if you have any solid names I will be happy to hear them. 

as I said I really want to go for the 2080 but that will break the bank a bit but then since i'm putting around 1700 USD why not pay more and go all out right ? it's not like I will buy a new PC everyday but still i'm thinking about it.   

On 12/5/2018 at 9:58 PM, LukeSavenije said:

for that purpose a quadro would be heavily outperforming it

well, that's not a bad advice.

I totally agree with you about the quadro but if I want to get the quadro p4000 compared to the RTX 2080 I will pay around 150 to 200 USD more so yeah...

thanks a lot guys and again I really appreciate your replies, and can you guys Suggest a good motherboard ? because I feel i'm picking the wrong one. 

Just now, nanashi said:

I did not ' get what  you mean by 2700 or 1700 ??

ryzen 7 1700 or ryzen 7 2700 as they have two more cores

1 minute ago, nanashi said:

yeah i'm thinking to save up some money and to go for the 2070 because it will cost the same as the 1070TI, my heart is telling me to go all out for the 2080 but my mind is telling me to save up and go for the 2070 so I will leave this to the last moment.

2070=1080 2080=1080 ti. For gaming I would invest it into the 2080 imo.

1 minute ago, nanashi said:

oh I didn't know that the evga supernova 650 G+ is a bad one , can you Suggest  any good ones ? from my research these name came up a lot Corsair RM750x what do you think of it ?

It's meh. the rmx is a good one, but you really don't need 750 watts. I would recommend looking into the psu tier list, and get a tier C or higher 550 watt psu

3 minutes ago, nanashi said:

I totally agree with you about the quadro but if I want to get the quadro p4000 compared to the RTX 2080 I will pay around 150 to 200 USD more so yeah...

only 200? look at this graph from a video linus made about specviewperv and solidworks

image.png.8ea203c9fc122973c3b56733d14e2261.png

it is worse in gaming, but a p1000 smashes the 1080ti in this already. a treadripper would be ideal, but that would be out of budget

While Maya editing and Photoshop are principally single threaded, Maya Arnold and most of the other software listed can make use of more cores. Depending on budget I would suggest either the 2700X or i9-9900K. (OP does not list Solidworks. I have no idea why there is a discussion around that package.)

An RTX 2070 should be more than sufficient unless one is doing a significant amount of gpu rendering.

One reason that the Z370-A may be out of stock is that Asus has replaced it with Asus PRIME Z370-A II.

For an Intel motherboard you might consider ASRock Z390 Extreme4 or Asus PRIME Z390-AASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 and Asus TUF X470-PLUS GAMING are reasonable choices for a 2700X.

I would suggest a new, larger ssd as the primary drive. The existing 120GB could be used as a scratch drive.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:00 PM, LukeSavenije said:

ryzen 7 1700 or ryzen 7 2700 as they have two more cores

2070=1080 2080=1080 ti. For gaming I would invest it into the 2080 imo.

It's meh. the rmx is a good one, but you really don't need 750 watts. I would recommend looking into the psu tier list, and get a tier C or higher 550 watt psu

only 200? look at this graph from a video linus made about specviewperv and solidworks

image.png.8ea203c9fc122973c3b56733d14e2261.png

it is worse in gaming, but a p1000 smashes the 1080ti in this already. a treadripper would be ideal, but that would be out of budget

Thanks a lot for the Info and the suggestions, I will look into what you said and I hope to get a P4000 :). 

On 12/6/2018 at 11:52 PM, brob said:

While Maya editing and Photoshop are principally single threaded, Maya Arnold and most of the other software listed can make use of more cores. Depending on budget I would suggest either the 2700X or i9-9900K. (OP does not list Solidworks. I have no idea why there is a discussion around that package.)

An RTX 2070 should be more than sufficient unless one is doing a significant amount of gpu rendering.

One reason that the Z370-A may be out of stock is that Asus has replaced it with Asus PRIME Z370-A II.

For an Intel motherboard you might consider ASRock Z390 Extreme4 or Asus PRIME Z390-AASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 and Asus TUF X470-PLUS GAMING are reasonable choices for a 2700X.

I would suggest a new, larger ssd as the primary drive. The existing 120GB could be used as a scratch drive.

one of my friend my using AMD graphic card ( I forget the model name but is cost around 450 USD or something around that ) and he is an architect so he is heavy on the desgin side like PS and so one and one day he called me to go to the shop with him because his GPU burned so lucky the warranty covered it and got replaced and after two weeks the same thing happened to him so he just bought the GTX 1060 when it was just released. my point is I don't Trust AMD very much and my work load is way way heavier than his soI know its the CPU but still i would rather go for Intel. 

you are right the RTX 2070 is enough and might go for that or if my budget allow i will go for 2080 or a p4000 . 

oooh, no wonder I didn't find that motherboard. Thanks a lot for the suggestions and I will look into it for sure. 

as for the SSD I will try to get a 250 GB or 500 GB. 

thanks again guys for your replies and the info I really apprentice all of it. and one last thing, did nvidia stopped the GTX 1080 lineup production ?  because I cant find any GTX 1080 or 1080 TI in kl or even Malaysia at all and if I do find any card it is way over priced like RM 4900 = 11780 USD and the TI goes for way more!! and when I talked to the supplier because the price is RM 2500 = 600 USD they told me it is EOL!!!

1111.jpg

On 12/6/2018 at 4:52 PM, brob said:

not a big fan of the TUF boards. Would replace it with the taichi (ultimate), x470 fatal1ty, crosshair vi (x370) and pro4 as a real budget board.