Found a 2 tb hard drive for 25 dollars. Wondering how loud it is.

Dionyz

I found a 2tb hard drive on eBay for 25 dollars it passes SMART, and the only issue is how loud it is. I have a loud computer, so I don't mind, but if it's screeching loud then I am not really interested.

Does anyone have a Hitachi 2TB HUA722020ALA330?

It's pretty loud and I wouldn't recommend getting it if you're looking for a quiet drive. 

WD Greens are a good option for cheap and quiet storage.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's pretty loud and I wouldn't recommend getting it if you're looking for a quiet drive. 

WD Greens are a good option for cheap and quiet storage.

I don't really care about quite drives. I have loud fans in my computer, so I am use to the noise. I am wondering if it's screeching loud. 

Just now, Dionyz said:

I am wondering if it's screeching loud. 

That's a bit more up to personal preference. It tends to vibrate a lot. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah I have a few of those.  They're pretty quiet.  Compared to my old Seagate 7200rpm's. 

$25 is a great deal and one of mine has run 7 years now.

14 hours ago, Dionyz said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

Mind that getting a second-hand storage drives can be a risky thing, especially if you are going to store valuable data on them. 

Check the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and see what they can show you about the drive's condition. 

If noise isn't a problem and there are no health issues with the drive then this should work just fine for you. Mind that excessive noise can be caused by vibrations which can damage the drive in the long run.

As @WoodenMarker suggested, WD Green is a good and quiet option for an inexpensive secondary storage drive so I'd check if there are deals on those. Same suggestions regarding the reliability apply. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I just picked up a refurb Hitachi HUA723020ALA641 and dropped it into my media server (Lenovo Thinkserver 130).  I'll probably end up buying a couple more of them.

Slightly different model, but should be largely the same being a 7200rpm 2TB Ultrastar.

I haven't done much with it yet aside from transfer 900GB of media onto it from my other computer, but SMART showed something like 16,000 hours uptime and 100? power on cycles.  Didn't have time to run a full drive check, but it handled the migration of part of my media library without hiccup.  MTBF for these is something like 2 Million hours.  Yolo enterprise drive.

It's loud, but it's a lower "chuggachugga" sort of sound when it's active, not like the tinnier, more clattery sounds the Seagate Barracuda's in my other computer (which is right next to the server) make.  If you've got a bunch of fans, you'll hardly notice it.

Also:  screw it, $25 for 2 terabytes.  If they annoy you in your desktop, you now have an excuse to buy 3 more and build a NAS.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

42 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

I just picked up a refurb Hitachi HUA723020ALA641 and dropped it into my media server (Lenovo Thinkserver 130).  I'll probably end up buying a couple more of them.

Slightly different model, but should be largely the same being a 7200rpm 2TB Ultrastar.

I haven't done much with it yet aside from transfer 900GB of media onto it from my other computer, but SMART showed something like 16,000 hours uptime and 100? power on cycles.  Didn't have time to run a full drive check, but it handled the migration of part of my media library without hiccup.  MTBF for these is something like 2 Million hours.  Yolo enterprise drive.

It's loud, but it's a lower "chuggachugga" sort of sound when it's active, not like the tinnier, more clattery sounds the Seagate Barracuda's in my other computer (which is right next to the server) make.  If you've got a bunch of fans, you'll hardly notice it.

Also:  screw it, $25 for 2 terabytes.  If they annoy you in your desktop, you now have an excuse to buy 3 more and build a NAS.

s-l1600.jpg

according to the eBay listing. They also say it's slow to mount. What does that mean?

" Drives work and pass SMART testing. Selling as-is for parts because they are noisier than normal and slow to mount "

16 hours ago, Dionyz said:

~snip~

The S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive seems great for its age. 40k hours on a HDD are quit a lot so I'd be careful storing valuable data on that drive without a good backup. Nevertheless, the drive looks amazingly well for its age. 

I'd ask the seller specifically about this "slow to mount" comment. This may indicate very high access times or connectivity issues that may be caused by bad communication between the drive and its cache or even a very high spin-up time. 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/