My own VPN set up with Draytek Vigor 2830n

trylo

Hi guys!

I want to set up my own VPN so that I can access my desktop and NAS when I'm on location.

I have a Draytek Vigor 2830n router which is capable of creating VPN, unfortunatelly when I'm doing as the instruction say my PC is not connecting (it says Connecting.... for ever).

I have a ADSL dynamic IP internet access.

Thank you in advance!

Here is my set up right now:

post-8090-0-13142900-1387812981_thumb.pn

post-8090-0-36026200-1387813034_thumb.pn

post-8090-0-38111300-1387813048_thumb.pn

post-8090-0-65318200-1387813068_thumb.jp

Router setup:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/vpn_setup.html

Follow the guide for "London" as that is vpn that is being called to.

Basically you want to set up for dial in not dial out as this router is not connecting to another vpn it is the vpn you want to call into.

You also want to set up Remote Network ip as the Network address of the LAN you are on it looks like by the pictures you have provided that would be 192.168.1.0

I also don't think by looking at the guide that you need the specify remote vpn gateway set.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device Setup: 

Then to set your Windows pc on a different network to go to it you would set up a new vpn as standard and use the ip address your ISP assigns you and use the user name and password you have specified in the set up.

Edit: it is also very important that your remote pcs ip address is not in the same network as your VPN otherwise it will not work.

For e.g

LAN @Home ip addressing

Network: 192.168.0.0

LAN @Work PC

Network: 10.10.10.0

That is acceptable as they use two different networks.

So your work pc can not have a ip address of 192.168.0.1-255

it has to be a different network.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for late reply, I had loads of work, so I decided that setting up VPN can be done later...

So to clarify the IP issue: if I'm planning to connect to VPN from multiple networks would it be a good idea to set up my IP addressing to one that is very unusual like 192.168.22.1?

OK, I set it up as said in link you provided. My remote computer connects to the VPN fast and without any problems.

When I'm connected I can't see any machines on my home network. I want to be able to use my drives. How to do that?

Sorry for noob questions...

Again thank you very much in advance.

• 10 months later...

Hello, i have a question about Draytek Vigor VPN. I already setup vpn for dial-up user and connect user to Draytek Vigor router by VPN via Internet. I can ping all computers in LAN above Draytek Vigor from connected PC via VPN, but i can't ping this PC from lan and from Draytek Vigor Ping Diagnosis section. Please help me to solve this!