Asus r9 280x Artifacts? (New)

Archoson

2 days ago I purchased an Asus R9 280x and installed it in my case. Since the first day it has been showing me artifacts, it never crashes, works as expected, but at stock everything it shows me artifacts. But the artifacts are weird in a way, for example if I alt-tab they instantly go away, for about 2-3 hours. And unlike when I overclocked my old 7850, it only shows artifacts on part of the screen, for example if in playing Skyrim everything to my left could be artifacts, while the right side looks fine. Anyone got any ideas before I go RMA this card? ( I already know the company will claim physical damage, they've done it to me with 3 products now.)

MSI MPower Big Bang | Intel 3570k

Samsung Pro 840 256GB | Asus R9 280x DirectCU II Top

Seasonic 750w Gold 

2 days ago I purchased an Asus R9 280x and installed it in my case. Since the first day it has been showing me artifacts, it never crashes, works as expected, but at stock everything it shows me artifacts. But the artifacts are weird in a way, for example if I alt-tab they instantly go away, for about 2-3 hours. And unlike when I overclocked my old 7850, it only shows artifacts on part of the screen, for example if in playing Skyrim everything to my left could be artifacts, while the right side looks fine. Anyone got any ideas before I go RMA this card? ( I already know the company will claim physical damage, they've done it to me with 3 products now.)

Try it in another computer before you send it back.

Increase the voltage but honestly you should not have to. Before you RMA, make sure your old drivers were completely uninstalled before installing the new drivers. I had a similar problem and I reinstalled  my drivers and now everything works fine. 

Try it in another computer before you send it back.

If only I had a second computer that I could access. I sometimes contemplate buying a second computer just for that purpose. xD

And to answer the second post, card never goes above 75 degrees. Oh and I reformatted just for that purpose, to make sure every driver was gone.

Seasonic 750w Gold 

Adjust for higher voltage on VRAM

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

The stock voltage on the card is 1163, ho much do you recommend I overvolt it?

Seasonic 750w Gold 

The stock voltage on the card is 1163, ho much do you recommend I overvolt it?

on VRAM voltages. not core. 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

on VRAM voltages. not core. 

And how would I go upon doing that? ^^

Seasonic 750w Gold 

It's every game I play, I even downloaded minecraft and that does it to. (LoL, Minecraft, Skyrim, ACIV, AC2, Vampire The Masquerade: bloodlines)

Seasonic 750w Gold 

Gave it as a birthday present to my brother. Also that shit was LOUD. (Blower fan)

Seasonic 750w Gold 

I have the same problem with my 7970 GE, its very selective. I can go all day or weeks, game consistently and still have no issues. Then another day, artifacting, artifacting everywhere. ALT-TAB, gone. 

It's really odd. Temps are fine (sub 70, never gone above since I've had it from new) and I've down clocked the default matrix platinum OC, not really helped.

It seems to only do it in squares though. Like, 100x100 pixel patches of artifacting. Odd. Even in chrome (I presume thanks to OpenGL acceleration, its done it on LTTF before).

Tried a complete driver re install, not helped either. It's livable with, but in some BF4 games it can get annoying. On the odd chance it has a really bad spurt randomly (not very often at all) a texture can just span my entire screen, but as soon as I look away from that object its fine. The only problem is when that object is huge, like a mountain. That's when its game restart bad. xD

I have the same problem with my 7970 GE, its very selective. I can go all day or weeks, game consistently and still have no issues. Then another day, artifacting, artifacting everywhere. ALT-TAB, gone. 

It's really odd. Temps are fine (sub 70, never gone above since I've had it from new) and I've down clocked the default matrix platinum OC, not really helped.

It seems to only do it in squares though. Like, 100x100 pixel patches of artifacting. Odd. Even in chrome (I presume thanks to OpenGL acceleration, its done it on LTTF before).

Tried a complete driver re install, not helped either. It's livable with, but in some BF4 games it can get annoying. On the odd chance it has a really bad spurt randomly (not very often at all) a texture can just span my entire screen, but as soon as I look away from that object its fine. The only problem is when that object is huge, like a mountain. That's when its game restart bad. xD

Explained my problem down to the core of it!

Seasonic 750w Gold 

I also own a 7970 matrix and have the exact same problems. 

alrighty OP my gigabyte r9 280x was having artifacts also @ stock speeds if you are on driver version 13.11 beta role back to 13.10 fixed artifacts in WoW BF3 and Arma 2 for me might help you

New Build:i7 4770k @4.4ghz, Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 GD-65 Gaming, Corsair HX750w, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm, Corsair Vengeance 12gb DDR3 1866mhz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SSC

Old build/Little Bros New PC:Intel i5 3570K @4.2ghz, Stock Intel Cooler, Gigabyte z77m-d3h, Capstone 550w, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 5400rpm, Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 660 SC R.I.P Tyson 12/22/03- 04/17/13

• 5 months later...

its a 7970 core issue. i had 2 msi lightning boosted editions that did it and many matrix's and sapphire toxics all do it.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

ken you fix it wit watercoling block ?

• 10 months later...

I know it has been a while, but has anyone resolved this problem?