GTX 980 Stuttering/FPS drops in game (help needed)

Daniel_Lawson9999

I'm new to the LTT community forums and thought this would be a good place to go to with the problems I have been having. I'm new to high performance desktop gaming computers in general, and have recently built a computer using cyberpowerpcs. If this would help solve the current issue I have the general specs are : I7 6700k, 16gb adata ddr4 ram, evga supernova 750 watts, and a msi gtx 980 (the oc white version with no backplate). This system also has no overclocks and is running windows 10. It functioned extremely well in games until a few days ago. After playing assassins creed syndicate for a while (almost maxed out settings) I had no problems, until I started randomly encountering almost constant fps drops. I tried messing with the settings and still had these problems on lower settings and tried vsync on/off but nothing seemed to fix the problems. I was then frustrated and with the game and played something else, moving on to Planetside 2 with everything working perfectly on max settings. Today I purchased rocket league, and the problems continued. I started having continued fps drops in the game, and then tried playing planetside 2 again but this time had problems. At this point the problems seemed very random and annoying. I tried various tips to help fix common issues with the gtx 980 which were things like changing the power management mode, but this did nothing. Finally, I did a fresh nvidia driver install. This seemed to fix the issues I had been having for about an hour until..... it continued again. At this point I don't know what to do, any advice?

Other information: relatively low temperatures gpu 27-30c stock, and 50-55 under load, but GPU fans seem to be at 100% speed in real life although they are set on a dynamic/automatic mode.

Please help!

Are you able to check your CPU temps? One thing to look at is whether your CPU/GPU is throttling for some reason. If your GPU isn't even hitting 60 degrees, that's nowhere near hot enough to throttle the GPU, but it's odd that you think the fan speed is at max RPM. My Nvidia 780 barely hits 55% (at hotter temps) unless I load a custom fan curve or set it to fixed RPM.

Hmm, cpu is actually at even cooler temps (I have a corsair liquid cooler on it) but wanted to make sure EVERYTHING was stable before overclocks. Under load the cpu stays in the 30s. Looking back the only thing I have changed in this computer recently is installing tall the utilities that came with the mobo(ai suite 3, etc) ... could that have changed anything?

After more looking in to it, it seems to only happen after playing a game for a while not when I first start playing it. Temperatures are stable the whole time, cant figure out what is wrong.