GTX 970 vs. A New Corsair K70 RGB along with an M65 and a case

Go to solution Solved by revl8er,

1) It's up to you to decide whether you can justify the purchase or not.  The 970 is a big leap from the 560ti.

2) From what I'm reading Gainward is a good brand.  I personally never owned one of their cards though.

3)Define R4 is a popular choice, I personally would go with the enthoo pro as I own it and love it.

4) No idea there

5) I'm sure it will, but I have no proof of that.

6) Are the keyboard and mouse giving you problems?  I have the same keyboard with a newer version of the mouse and have no issues whatsoever.  If they aren't giving you any problems then the card might be a better choice.  If they are then replace them first. 

Since the launch of the GTX 900 series, I've been wondering if I should finally from my pretty much ancient Gainward GTX 560ti.

Christmas is coming up, and I've been given the opportunity get a couple of expensive gifts from all my family members, or the traditional one-gift-per-person thing.

I've decided to take the expensive option and I'm now looking to either get a Corsair K70 RGB (possibly another keyboard, but has to be Cherry Blue Switch), Corsair M65 (Gun Metal Black) and a case from either Fractal Design or Corsair.

The reason I've chosen these two manufacturers is due their "maturity", or rather the fact that they don't do a whole lot of gamer bling, which is a style that I deeply despise. (Hence the reason I'm looking to get a replacement to my ugly Zalman Z11+)

The stuff I'm looking to replace is: Nvidia Gainward GTX 560ti, Zalman Z11+, Razer Blackwidow (2012 standard edition), and Razer Deathadder (2012 "Respawn Edition")

There are a couple of questions involved in this topic.

- Is the price for a 970 justifiable (I'm looking at a Gainward GTX 970 due to it's clean looks and reference-like cooler), with the price of 400$? I'm a 3D artist too, so a new rendering card is a nice addition to the upgrade.

- Is Gainward a decent brand? As mentioned above, my only reason for the Gainward is the looks and cooler. Are there any other better brand/cards with the same/or similar cooler/looks? 

- What case would be the best for around 100$ I'm really liking the ARC XL and DEFINE XL R2 Black Pearl from Fractal, as well as the Obsidian series from Corsair. (Probably ending up with the ARC XL, but if there is a better alternative I would like to know)

- How does the wrist rest on the K70 RGB feel like? Linus said it's rubberized, but I would like something to compare it to. Perhaps the bottom of my Corsair mousepad?

- Will the 970 support DirectX 12 when it's released?

- Which would be the better choice? The 970? Or peripherals + case? I'm currently leaning a bit towards the case and peripherals, but I'm still not certain.

If the product could be found on this site, it would be easier, due to me living in Scandinavia (Denmark), but not a necessity: http://www.edbpriser.dk/

It's basically like a Pricerunner exclusively for tech.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and hopefully you'll answer! :D

-Zonus

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

1) It's up to you to decide whether you can justify the purchase or not.  The 970 is a big leap from the 560ti.

2) From what I'm reading Gainward is a good brand.  I personally never owned one of their cards though.

3)Define R4 is a popular choice, I personally would go with the enthoo pro as I own it and love it.

4) No idea there

6) Are the keyboard and mouse giving you problems?  I have the same keyboard with a newer version of the mouse and have no issues whatsoever.  If they aren't giving you any problems then the card might be a better choice.  If they are then replace them first. 

Personally i'd pick up the 970 for the real perfomance you get for your computer. The Mech Keyboard well is eyecandy because its the same thing picking any Cherry Mx KB out there. and the mice is truly a nicer experience from a traditional mouse. Go for the Graphics card for performance and go for the peripherals for new experience in the way you interact with your computer.

Have a nice day.

4) No idea there

The only problem I have with my peripherals is the keyboard.

I accidentally broke the stabilizers on the space bar when cleaning it, it's no big deal though.

Personally i'd pick up the 970 for the real perfomance you get for your computer. The Mech Keyboard well is eyecandy because its the same thing picking any Cherry Mx KB out there. and the mice is truly a nicer experience from a traditional mouse. Go for the Graphics card for performance and go for the peripherals for new experience in the way you interact with your computer.

Have a nice day.

Thanks, and you too! Even though it's 23:12 where I live :P

BTW: It was really creepy reading "Have a nice day" in the Heath Ledger Joker voice. xD

Thanks, you two, I guess this sums it up then! 

I will be in debt to my parents, but I think I'll go with a case and a GPU.

It seems like it would pay off, and with the 150$ I saved up for possible game sales I should be able to get both. I will do a bit of research on the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, but it does seem like it would end up as my choice! :D

-Zonus

EDIT: Yeah, the Enthoo is definitely my next case! Thanks Revl8er!

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

The only problem I have with my peripherals is the keyboard.

I accidentally broke the stabilizers on the space bar when cleaning it, it's no big deal though.

Thanks, and you too! Even though it's 23:12 where I live :P

BTW: It was really creepy reading "Have a nice day" in the Heath Ledger Joker voice. xD

Thanks, you two, I guess this sums it up then! 

I will be in debt to my parents, but I think I'll go with a case and a GPU.

It seems like it would pay off, and with the 150$ I saved up for possible game sales I should be able to get both. I will do a bit of research on the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, but it does seem like it would end up as my choice! :D

-Zonus

EDIT: Yeah, the Enthoo is definitely my next case! Thanks Revl8er!

No problem, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.