MSI Afterburner Hardware Monitor gives incorrect CPU temps - Anyone familiar with this issue?

Gnrl Kitty

SuiMTxr.png

That's MSI Afterburner, Asus AI SUITE II, AIDA64, SpeedFan, and CPUID HWMonitor. You can see that Afterburner is giving a different CPU temp than the rest of the programs save for HWMonitor which is giving a similar result. This example is pretty tame, earlier I had Afterburner showing nearly +20C than the rest of the programs. I specifically care that Afterburner is wrong since I use the on screen display a lot to check performance. Has anyone ever heard of this or know what could be causing this? 

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

It could possibly be the way that CPU temperature is read. Some programs may read the hottest core, some the coldest, some the average. Just a guess. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

It could possibly be the way that CPU temperature is read. Some programs may read the hottest core, some the coldest, some the average. Just a guess. 

That wouldn't cause a +20C difference however.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Just now, Gnrl Kitty said:

That wouldn't cause a +20C difference however.

It might. Try to yse a program that reads per core temp and compare. 

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

If you are to believe one, always believe the highest temp.

Fully expand HW Monitor. Are there any temps in HW Monitor that line up with that 60c projection?

Also, how do those temps respond when you take them out from load? Which temp drops quicker?

Hmm. Seems to have been a complete anomaly. The CPU temp problems I was having as well as other problems I had with SpeedFan incorrectly reading my custom fan controller settings have completely resolved themselves without any input by myself. Thanks to those who tried to help!