Cant install an OS

ajakz

Hi there I've just built my first system which wouldn't post but I fixed that. I go to install windows 10 through a usb, that I know works, and it wont get past finishing up. I also tried windows 7, which wont even get to unpacking, and now I'm installing Linux to see if that works. Some people have suggested that it could be the memory.

Thank you very much for your time.

I have one Hitachi HDD that I'm installing onto, my mobo is a msi 970 gaming, i have a case fan and cpu fan connected, 1 EVGA GTX 950 SSC ACX+ graphics card. and for my peripherals I have a ps/2 keyboard, a Steel Series Rival 100, and I'm using a Toshiba TV connected with hdmi. Thank You!

Do you have any SSDs attached? I've had a similar problem where I've had both my SSD and HDD attached to the motherboard and it caused problems because my SSD would only install Windows under "IDE" and my HDD was running under AHCI. I had to unplug my HDD, install Windows onto my SSD under IDE and then change the registry when I got into windows so my SSD would register as AHCI. Then afterwards I plugged my HDD back in and everything worked. 

In my case, conflicting operating modes. 

Would changing my SATA mode from AHCI to IDE help?

Were you installing through a usb 2.0 or 3.0 port? If it is a new motherboard, usb 3.0 tends to be a bit weird when installing windows 10.