Dead HDD?

Gnrl Kitty

I'm working on my boss's All-In-One.  First time I turned it on after he handed it to me, it went past the Manufacturer logo (it's a Gateway) and went to the Windows 7 Loading screen.

This:

Windows_7_Boot_Screen.png

And then it sat at that pulsing loading screen for a couple minutes, and after I looked back at the screen I saw this screen:

post-1-1224623227.jpg

Since then, when I turn it on I get this screen after the Gateway screen:

TsyXj7o.jpg

And this is a video of what the drive sounds like when it turns on.  Since it's All-in-One I can't make the post beep from being heard in the video.  Sorry about that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33EtncmPVTXb0NfOTROZXl0RVE/view?usp=sharing

Anyway, Dead drive?  I already tested putting the drive from my PC with the OS installation into it, and it loads in just fine.  So whatever the problem is seems to be with the HDD.  When I put it in my PC to try to get data off of it, which is what he's hoping I can do, it doesn't appear in my list of drives.  When I open Disc Management it shows up as an uninitialized drive.  When I try to initialize it it tells me "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" and the drive shows up as 0MB

Let me know if you need any more information or screenshots to try to help me.  I super appreciate your time.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

snip

i'm sorry but, i believe so. the smart capable and status bad is well, bad. 

can you get into safe mode and transfer any files you may need

it could be some kind of coruption that have deleted the boot sector try going in to repair computer in the instilation media

Not looking good then?

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Not looking good then?

not stellar. i would try what anders_b said. it does normally means a hard drive has failed or is shortly will. if it clicks well, at least hard drives are cheap. there is some software that may be able to recover data, never used it, i hear it can be kinda $$$

it could be some kind of coruption that have deleted the boot sector try going in to repair computer in the instilation media

Alrighty so I stuck the HDD in my own PC and popped a Windows 7 64-bit CD in.  It didn't find a Windows installation on the drive.  And the drive wasn't showing up in the UEFI from what I saw.  If it has 32-bit installed, would the CD still have at least found it?  I assume so since it still found my Windows 8.1 Pro Installation.  Then again the drive is suppose to have Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it, where as the CD I put in is for Windows 7 Ultimate.

Alrighty so I stuck the HDD in my own PC and popped a Windows 7 64-bit CD in.  It didn't find a Windows installation on the drive.  And the drive wasn't showing up in the UEFI from what I saw.  If it has 32-bit installed, would the CD still have at least found it?  I assume so since it still found my Windows 8.1 Pro Installation.  Then again the drive is suppose to have Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it, where as the CD I put in is for Windows 7 Ultimate.

try opening cmd under repair and type Bootrec.exe/FixBoot i dont know if it works but worth the shoot

OR run HDD Diagnostics. That will tell you if the drive is bad or not. Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard both have bootable discs you can make on their respective websites. 

Bootrec won't do a darn thing if the drive is faulty, which it sounds like it is.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

OR run HDD Diagnostics. That will tell you if the drive is bad or not. Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard both have bootable discs you can make on their respective websites. 

Bootrec won't do a darn thing if the drive is faulty, which it sounds like it is.

Okay so Seagate Seatools didn't find the drive at all, WD Data Lifeguard did and got pass both on the Quick and Extended tests (although they only lasted six seconds each).  SMART data was unavailable.  here are some screenshots:

kWSV65r.png

gQb2udZ.png

OK, so the drive has failed. DLDiags lists the drive capacity at 0 GB of data. Zero GB of data. Drive is dead, my friend. Sorry to tell you that.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

OK, so the drive has failed. DLDiags lists the drive capacity at 0 GB of data. Zero GB of data. Drive is dead, my friend. Sorry to tell you that.

It's a shame, but not my drive.  I guess I did what I could at least.

It's a shame, but not my drive.  I guess I did what I could at least.

Break the news gently. I'm like Linus. Do as I say, not as I do. ha ha.

CompTIA A+ Certified

Break the news gently. I'm like Linus. Do as I say, not as I do. ha ha.

Lol will do, thanks for the help.