USB-C dock layout help

Kramal6

Hi everyone

I'm able to get a USB c dock from work for my work laptop. I have a home setup with 3 monitor that i use with my private PC. I want to able to have my USB C docking station hooked up to my monitors as well as my own PC, so it's easy to switch between them. ( I have separate mouse and keyboard for the work PC)

When reading about the dock i saw that it only supports 2 extra monitors but i read some people who were able to get 3 extra monitors to work, without the laptop monitor. I just wanted to get someone else's opinion on how to do this best. I will list my specs now for you to get a sense of the setup

Monitor 1: BenQ xl2720b (1x DP(in use on private PC), 2x HDMI, 1x VGA, 1x DVI)

Monitor 2 and 3: Philips 243v (1x VGA, 1 x DVI (in use in private PC)

Laptop: Lenovo T14s (Intel UHD 620)

USB C dock: Lenovo dock 40 af.

How do you guys think i should go about this?
I was thinking VGA->HDMI from monitor 2 and 3, and HDMI->HDMI from monitor 1.

21 minutes ago, Kramal6 said:

How do you guys think i should go about this?

I have the exact same issue. I tried to get a dock that had 2 HDMI and a VGA, it advertised that it could run all 3 at the same time, although it was unable, so I just plugged the third monitor into the built in HDMI port, so now I have 2 connectors to plug in when docking.

23 minutes ago, Kramal6 said:

VGA->HDMI

Just from my experience VGA to HDMI adapters have always been dodgy. Whenever I've installed any of them I've found they only work half the time.

Yeah I was thinking that as well, plugging an HDMI straight into the laptop. How come hdmi-vga are so dodgy?

To quote Forrest "you never know what you're gonna get". My experience has been ok with vga to hdmi or any digital to analog/analog to digital adapter. However it's a crap shoot and even if you do your homework and line up all the specs correctly(assuming you can find them and they're not straight lies) the adapter still might not work. I have a drawer full of adapters, some work on one pc or another.

My favorite cheap pc is the Lenovo USFF M73, I have had adapters that work with one but not the other despite being the same model numbers.