I am looking to buy a new GPU to replace my GTX 660 3GB. It's getting a bit old and games are starting to turn their noses up at it. This will not do. I need an upgrade. So I have been having a bit of an internal struggle lately. I've been looking at the AMD's 390 and 390X as well as the GTX 970 and 980. About twice a week, I make a soft decision on one card or another, then change my mind and plan on getting another card. I'm hoping you fine experts and hobbyist can help me with my indecision and get me playing "The Witcher 3" in style.
What I Am Working With
- My TV is a 1080p with a 60 fps refresh rate.
- I have a new Corsair HX750i PSU (Love it!)
- I have a humble FX 6300 that I OC'd to 4.4 Ghz (I will upgrade this next)
- 16GB RAM
What I Am Going Back And Forth Over
- I like the R9 300 series mainly because of the extra RAM. I realize that the vast majority of games today don't need more than the 3.5GB Nvidia gives you. however, what does the future hold? Will developers start asking for more VRAM now that the AMD (and I assume Nvidia's next line) gives you more?
- If i go 390(X) i'll have the VRAM to spare and keep my card relevant for the unknown future. However, my 750 watt GPU won't be able to handle 2 in crossfire. So, I'm stuck with a single card. That means i'd likely go with the R9 390X and that makes the AMD route a pricier one.
- The Nvidia GTX 970 is an attractive option due to it's lower price and it's low power consumption. I can SLI 970's to keep up with the times if I need to and not trash my pretty new power supply in a year or so. From what I've been reading and watching, two 970's can keep the pace with the best cards currently out there.
- Though, SLIing a 970 doesn't give me more VRAM. If games start demanding more VRAM, I'll need to replace the card in a few years.
- Lately developers have taken an apathetic approach to PC hardware optimization. Will the 970 even be able to handle games in these dark times?
So, I go in circles over this. Lately I've been thinking about getting a card that will get me through the next couple years, kick the can down the road and choose between the GTX 1180 and R9 590X. By then i'll have more money to throw at this problem. So, what card do you think would be best to keep me playing games for the 1.5-2 years? Will VRAM be something i need to worry of or shut up about already?
thank you for reading and your help.