[SOLVED] Red CPU LED on Motherboard (pc worked fine yesterday)

HartP

FIX: Replaced CMOS Battery, working just fine now (so far)!

Following Situation:

Shifted all my components from my old to my new case and exchanged my TopBlower for a Corsair H60 (2018) watercooling system. Was on my computer for at least 6 hours yesterday evening, working on a programming project and even when I started gaming later on I had no Framedrops, overall 10*C lower CPU temp., everything worked just fine. Tried to turn it on today in the morning and I saw the red CPU light on the motherboard turning on.

Summary of what is going on/still working:

• Red CPU light is always on
  • fans are all running
  • GPU fans are running
  • pump is running as well (CPU seems to be getting power as I can fell the pump head getting warm)

What I've tried/checked so far:

• checked if the CPU (electricity) connector is connected right to the motherboard (it is)
  • removed RAM sticks
  • tried both of the two RAM sticks solo on every slot (nothing changed)
  • -> I noticed: when I plugged a stick to another slot, everything stayed the same when turning on, but after few secods the system turned of for 3sec. but turned back on and was in the same state as before
  • nothing is interfering on the back of the motherboard
  • User manual: "If a particular LED is on, that means the corresponding deivce is not working normally" (says nothing else, btw. thanks for troubleshooting Gigabyte ^^)
  • plugged screen directly in the motherboard, to see if maybe the GPU was just getting no signal, but the screen stayed black
  • checked if hold-down screws are equally tightened

System specs:

• Aorus z270x Gaming K5
  • i5 7400
  • GTX 960 (Gigabyte Windforce)
  • 2x 2133MHz RAM Sticks (not same fabrican, but tried them solo already)
  • Corsair H60 (2018)(Watercooling)

I really depend on this computer because of the projects for my programming classes (Android/Java) that are due mid december.

Already a big thanks guys, I really hope we can figure something out! ?

Clear cmos 

Possibly Board dead or shorted out/failed. I literally had this same issue yesterday with a z97x Gaming 3 yesterday.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

on CPUs newer than haswell, the CPU PCB is thinner and is sensitive to the hold-down pressure of the HSF/AIO. make sure the hold-down screws are equally tightened as to not cause uneven pressure of the CPU in the socket.

14 minutes ago, KingCry said:

Clear cmos 

Possibly Board dead or shorted out/failed. I literally had this same issue yesterday with a z97x Gaming 3 yesterday.

And you were able to fix it that way? Really curious, as it was the same for you.

13 minutes ago, airdeano said:

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

on CPUs newer than haswell, the CPU PCB is thinner and is sensitive to the hold-down pressure of the HSF/AIO. make sure the hold-down screws are equally tightened as to not cause uneven pressure of the CPU in the socket.

All of them were tightened equally, but pretty strong, so i loosened the screws a few times qually and tried to turn it on, but still red CPU light.

Just now, HartP said:

And you were able to fix it that way? Really curious, as it was the same for you.

Unfortuntely no, I just put in my old Asus motherboard hoping for the best and I got lucky having the second board around.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

1 minute ago, KingCry said:

Unfortuntely no, I just put in my old Asus motherboard hoping for the best and I got lucky having the second board around.

Damn, sorry for you. But at least it's working with the other one!
But how can it die / be shortened when everything was working fine the day before, in a closed case?

2 minutes ago, HartP said:

Damn, sorry for you. But at least it's working with the other one!
But how can it die / be shortened when everything was working fine the day before, in a closed case?

Unfortunately it can be caused by anything. Even the board can just out right fail with out warning.

|King Of The Lost|

18 minutes ago, KingCry said:

Unfortunately it can be caused by anything. Even the board can just out right fail with out warning.

I will try to clear CMOS tomorrow, battery is hidden behind the GPU right now and it's getting late here (00:04am european time). But I will let you guys know what happened.
Should I get a Mainboard speaker to maybe get a better idea of what could be wrong? When I did the CMOS clear and it's still not working does that mean the mainboard is dead for sure? ?

Just now, HartP said:

I will try to clear CMOS tomorrow, battery is hidden behind the GPU right now and it's getting late here (00:04am european time). But I will let you guys know what happened.
Should I get a Mainboard speaker to maybe get a better idea of what could be wrong? When I did the CMOS clear and it's still not working does that mean the mainboard is dead for sure? ?

Not 100% dead but something failed for sure.

|King Of The Lost|

@KingCry No time for clearing CMOS so far, tomorrow should be time for it.

But I was thinking about a weird behavior of my PC before: PC was turned off every day at night time, but as soon as you hit mouse or keyboard button, the backlight turned on. could that have caused the Battery responsible for the CMOS to drain energy until being empty (state right now)?
Read an article that usually the batteries on pretty new motherboards won't be charged anymore because the power consumption for keeping the CMOS is that low and one single battery will last for years. ?

• 1 year later...

Experiencing quite same issue right now. Have you found a solution for this? 

3 hours ago, konorok said:

Experiencing quite same issue right now. Have you found a solution for this? 

On 11/25/2018 at 9:58 PM, HartP said:

FIX: Replaced CMOS Battery, working just fine now (so far)!