Hard drive not being recognized in optical drive adapter

Jerochy
Go to solution Solved by Raudi_,
Just now, Jerochy said:

Alright I took it apart, put the drive alone in my main PC, formatted and allocated the drive. We'll see if it's recognized now. If it isn't do you think I gotta install some kinda drivers or do you think the sata ports on the optical drives might just not work correctly or something?

The Sata port for the adapter might just be bad, cause I would imagine its running off the same controller as the optical drive was working off of originally. If it had an optical drive and it worked then I would rule that the adapter is funked.

Morning everyone,

I got a 2010 lenovo thinkpad edge 15 from japan on eBay for $35 w/ $10 shipping and for the most part, it's working fine. I was able to use the windows 7 COA on it and I did have trouble getting drivers as there are not many US downloads for drivers for this PC. One thing that doesn't seem to be working is the optical drive HDD adapter though. It goes in the same place as a normal optical drive would on a laptop, has sata and power going to it with a western digital 250gb hdd already in it. The computer won't recognize it in the device manager or disk management though. I tried to look for drivers for it as maybe it needed drivers to run that were lost when I did a fresh install, but couldn't find anything. There is a very good possibility that the HDD itself doesn't even work, but I thought I'd ask you guys what you would try. 

Thanks

I would try the drive itself alone before trying to use the adapter. If the drive is showing up and being recognized then its the adapter. If it doesn't then you know at least there is an issue with the drive.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

22 minutes ago, KingCry said:

I would try the drive itself alone before trying to use the adapter. If the drive is showing up and being recognized then its the adapter. If it doesn't then you know at least there is an issue with the drive.

Alright I took it apart, put the drive alone in my main PC, formatted and allocated the drive. We'll see if it's recognized now. If it isn't do you think I gotta install some kinda drivers or do you think the sata ports on the optical drives might just not work correctly or something?

Just now, Jerochy said:

The Sata port for the adapter might just be bad, cause I would imagine its running off the same controller as the optical drive was working off of originally. If it had an optical drive and it worked then I would rule that the adapter is funked.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14