Making a decision between TN or IPS

Feighery

I currently have a dual monitor setup of 23inch older monitors, 60Hz. An Iiyama and Dell. The problem I have had is that the bezels are quite large for a dual screen setup and neither support freesync. Plus the Dell monitor has a very poor refresh rate with some artefacts burnt into the screen.

I am looking at two monitors to replace them, on a budget.

I have narrowed my selection down to an iiyama 24.5 inch TN monitor with 1ms refresh time 1080p and a Dell 23 inch IPS monitor with 5ms response time 1080p. Both do 75Hz with freesync.

I have an RX480 8GB gfx card and I find 1080 to be fine, no really looking at the jump to 1440.

The IPS is cheaper at €124 euro and the TN is €141 but that little bit larger.

I do a lot of amature photo and video work, which is why I was looking IPS in the first place but is there realistically enough of a different between these two?

I play a few games, mainly Starcitizen and the like so visuals can be important.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071JH67KN/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BZ97BF6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

Anyone want to push me in the direction of one or the other or even have an alternative in that price range.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Feighery said:

I do a lot of amature photo and video work, which is why I was looking IPS in the first place but is there realistically enough of a different between these two?

I play a few games, mainly Starcitizen and the like so visuals can be important.

If you're doing any sort of colour sensitive work on your display, then a TN panel is not suitable, you'll need an IPS panel. Response times are mostly just bs and you won't notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms, but the graphics will look so much better on an IPS panel than the TN one.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I think VA is the least worse choice ..but out of TN and IPS .. IPS is the least worst.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 2 weeks later...

I went IPS, got two AOC frameless 24inch ones. They are excellent.