980 Ti broken, but can I fix it? | PC is restarting under load

Otterkuh

Hey people, seems like my 980 Ti is broken, but can I fix it somehow?

The problem:
Every time the gpu gets under load (with every game or 3d program I start) the pc restarts after 5-10 seconds. It does not matter which game or situation.

What I tried:
Of course I thought the PSU is broken, so I built a new one in. Then I really hoped it´s the mainboard but after I tested the GPU in my friends pc and the problem was the same. Restart under GPU load.

Btw, it´s nothing with the GPU cooler or temperature. I already checked this with several tools.

Any idea what I could try or do to solve this? Maybe something in the gpu bios or ... I don´t know. Really need some help from some real experts :(

you could try baking it, a few people have made videos on this, alternatively if it is only happening under load, you could try messing with the max power settings in something like MSI afterburner and undervolt the GPU

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

1 minute ago, Emanbaird said:

you could try baking it, a few people have made videos on this, alternatively if it is only happening under load, you could try messing with the max power settings in something like MSI afterburner and undervolt the GPU

It only happens under load. Immediately when it gets under load. How could I undervolt it? I mean, with which target? How could this help?

I would basically try an overclock but backwards start pretty low, aka as low as it can go without crashing then try slowly moving it up until it starts crashing again, if it crashes on the lowest power the cards probably dead 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

8 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

You should only bake it as an absolute last resort. If it does work, it may not last much longer, and considering it's a 980 Ti, it definitely has some life left. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, Otterkuh said:

It only happens under load. Immediately when it gets under load. How could I undervolt it? I mean, with which target? How could this help?

Is this card pre-overclocked? What 980 Ti is it actually?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Is this card pre-overclocked? What 980 Ti is it actually?

It´s a 6GB Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream.

I overlocked it but very little. Nothing special. I still don´t understand what could be the problem :( It´s still working fine in 2D games and is absolutely stable in windows etc. I don´t get it.

Just now, Otterkuh said:

It´s a 6GB Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream.

I overlocked it but very little. Nothing special. I still don´t understand what could be the problem :( It´s still working fine in 2D games and is absolutely stable in windows etc. I don´t get it.

Restore it back to original settings(other than fan speeds) and re-test it. 

Restore it back to original settings(other than fan speeds) and re-test it. 

Already done :( Does not work unfortunaly. As I said, I already build the GPU in a friends PC and there was exactly the same problem.

Just now, Otterkuh said:

Already done :( Does not work unfortunaly. As I said, I already build the GPU in a friends PC and there was exactly the same problem.

The really damning part about this is it's difficult to know exactly where the issue is stemming from. Is this card still under warranty?

The really damning part about this is it's difficult to know exactly where the issue is stemming from. Is this card still under warranty?

Unfortunaly not :( Where could be the problem!? :( Also the temperature, it´s perfectly fine around 60 C° ... doesn´t get higher when the restart comes under load. I just don´t get it

Just now, Otterkuh said:

Unfortunaly not :( Where could be the problem!? :( Also the temperature, it´s perfectly fine around 60 C° ... doesn´t get higher when the restart comes under load. I just don´t get it

If you get a multi-meter, you can measure various voltages of different components to see if you can find the issue.

The issue could be anything from the power delivery, to the GPU not being able to sustain clocks anymore. Underclocking the GPU might work, but then is it because the power delivery is under a lesser load? Or is it the GPU not being able to sustain higher clocks?

Do you mind taking the card apart?

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you get a multi-meter, you can measure various voltages of different components to see if you can find the issue.

The issue could be anything from the power delivery, to the GPU not being able to sustain clocks anymore. Underclocking the GPU might work, but then is it because the power delivery is under a lesser load? Or is it the GPU not being able to sustain higher clocks?

Do you mind taking the card apart?

Oh, okay. Don´t you think there is still any chance to correct something with the nvidia inspector or log something somewhere.. :D Anything I didn´t know of.

// Do you mind taking the card apart?

No :) Not really

Just now, Otterkuh said:

Oh, okay. Don´t you think there is still any chance to correct something with the nvidia inspector or log something somewhere.. :D Anything I didn´t know of.

// Do you mind taking the card apart?

No :) Not really

You can try messing around with stuff within NVIDIA Inspector, but if the application crashes with any sort of significant load, I think we're dealing with the actual hardware. You can certainly try to underclock the GPU and/or reduce voltage, but that would be more of a workaround. Then again, that might be the best that you can get unless you can find someone who can repair graphics cards. 

When you get around to taking it apart, give it a look to see if find anything bizarre like capacitors that look inflated or have outright burst. And if possible, I would also like to see photos of the board.

Are there any other ideas or possibilites to solve this? :( Except baking...

UPDATE: I tried undervolting now. Did not work :( Still the same issues...

Vide cards aren't really serviceable. I would start looking at replacing it.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Vide cards aren't really serviceable. I would start looking at replacing it.

It´s a shame, but I also believe I have to :( I just feel sad about the 500-800 € which it will cost to replace it. After only 3 years.. dammit :(