Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1TB of games deleted out of the blue.

Pycasso

So 830/931 GB got deleted from my F drive out of the blue (at least that's what I think). The drive had games only. Everything was gone in an instant , the only thing that remained were the empty game folders.

So what I was doing before that happened:

I just finished a game and uninstalled it from my ssd. Than i was thinking 'let's make some more space on the ssd' and I uninstalled some useless programs. After that I cecked my C drive (SSD) and I had ~ 48GB free space. I scanned my pc , no problem detected and than I went ahead and deleted all the scan reports that my antivirus ever made since I have my pc. Than I cecked my C drive again and noticed my F drive is empty (931 GB free of 931 GB) and I was like "wtf?"

It seems like the issue is the antivirus, but I doubt it.

The antivirus I have: Kaspersky Internet Security (paid 1 year licence)

Pc almost new , got it at most 2 months ago, and I installed everything.

I have no idea what happened , does anybody have any idea? plz help!

*Sry for any spelling mistakes, or any sort of mistakes. English is not my 1st language.*

Did you write anything new to the drive yet?
If not, use Recuva to recover the lost files.
If you did write anything new to it, you're likely SOL.

As for why that happened, could be many things.
From plain inattention on your part(unlikely since the folders are still there?) to a software issue that decided it wanted to uninstall everything.(There was such an issue with the latest Windows 10 release, but that should've been pulled and fixed)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB with Noctua Fans / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 11 Pro

Nope, haven't touched it since I installed all the games (1 week ago). Right now I'm downloading again all the games... but the thing is I don't want this to happend again.

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Did you write anything new to the drive yet?
If not, use Recuva to recover the lost files.
If you did write anything new to it, you're likely SOL.

As for why that happened, could be many things.
From plain inattention on your part(unlikely since the folders are still there?) to a software issue that decided it wanted to uninstall everything.(There was such an issue with the latest Windows 10 release, but that should've been pulled and fixed)

Nope, haven't touched it since I installed all the games (1 week ago). Right now I'm downloading again all the games... but the thing is I don't want this to happend again.

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Were those games downloaded, you know, "illegally"? If so, have in mind that most antivirus see those games (or at least a couple of files) as malware (mostly steam_api.dll and so)

So maybe when deleting the "malware" you deleted the games

this is not entirely true and if an antivirus would work like this it should be deleted right away, even if it detects a file as a virus it will only delete that one file and nothing around it.

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Were those games downloaded, you know, "illegally"? If so, have in mind that most antivirus see those games (or at least a couple of files) as malware (mostly steam_api.dll and so)

it would deleted the cracked files not the game files.

doubt it's even virus or malware related as it would mess with system drive first. Probably you messed up somewhere

I have come across bugged uninstallers before, One time I mistakenly installed something in the main program file folder, as it didn't make a subfiolder (really hate when they are ambiguous like this). I thought I'd uninstall it and put it in its own subfolder, but it wiped the old install location, not just its own files. Suffice to say I didn't bother with that software any more.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@2133 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, SK Hynix 512 GB + Crucial P1 TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

21 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Since the economy in my country is horrible, It would take me a whole year to buy all those games (but I'm planing to buy the ones I like after I play them) . But then again I have a few more 'legal' games in my second 1tb drive , that are unharmed.

27 minutes ago, asus killer said:

it would deleted the cracked files not the game files.

doubt it's even virus or malware related as it would mess with system drive first. Probably you messed up somewhere

It still depends on how you installed the pirated game, if it was from reliable crackers it'd only go for the crack but some sketchy re-packers may contaminate every thing to the point it'd delete most stuff... hard to tell.

Either ways, bad HDD, pirated games, OP himself isn't certain what's going on... better not get too involved.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 11/25/2018 at 3:27 PM, Princess Cadence said:

It still depends on how you installed the pirated game, if it was from reliable crackers it'd only go for the crack but some sketchy re-packers may contaminate every thing to the point it'd delete most stuff... hard to tell.

Either ways, bad HDD, pirated games, OP himself isn't certain what's going on... better not get too involved.

Do you have a problem with me or what?

27 minutes ago, Pycasso said:

Do you have a problem with me or what?

Discussing pirated content is against the CoC, regardless of what state it's in. She doesn't have a problem with you persay, just what you're asking.

I'm going to go with it being a bad HDD. Might want to scan it for issues.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: AMD Radeon 6700XT 12GB PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

57 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Discussing pirated content is against the CoC, regardless of what state it's in. She doesn't have a problem with you persay, just what you're asking.

I'm going to go with it being a bad HDD. Might want to scan it for issues.

Since I'm not a very wealthy person I took her last sentence kind off personal. I don't like to be shamed by others for the little I have, meterial and knowledge.

6 hours ago, Pycasso said:

Since I'm not a very wealthy person I took her last sentence kind off personal. I don't like to be shamed by others for the little I have, meterial and knowledge.

Get over it tbh, they're not trying to shame you but inform you. That being said either your drive is corrupted or the files were deleted somehow. Downloading "random" files off the internet from unreputable sources could've caused it. Try to see if you get any hits with a chkdsk scan.

Use this to check the hard drive.

CrystalDiskInfo8_0_0.exe

If this comes through clean then I suggest a complete system wipe and start over fresh.

If you have a drive in the red or yellow it is definitely a hard drive issue.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

11 hours ago, Pycasso said:

There are times when I couldn't afford what I wanted either. Doesn't mean I'd steal it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: AMD Radeon 6700XT 12GB PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

There are times when I couldn't afford what I wanted either. Doesn't mean I'd steal it.

There is always Youtube play-throughs for games at least.?

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards