Awful and confusing ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming motherboard drivers

kiicki

Since I built my PC a year ago, I have had issues with the ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming motherboard drivers.

Audio drivers

I just installed the latest audio driver Version 6.0.1.8496. It comes with 3 applications: Realtek HD, Sonic Radar, and Sonic Studio. These applications comes in the Windows store version and have replaced the desktop applications version. When I launched Sonic Studio and click on "Advanced mode" the application freezes. One time I managed to launch "Advanced mode" but where it should appear a list of most of my applications, the logo on many of them seems to be missing. The 2nd and 3rd latest audio driver doesn't even include Realtek HD, Sonic Studio, and Sonic Radar.

The 4th latest audio driver is what I have been using for a while, and it comes with the desktop version of Realtek HD, Sonic Studio, and Sonic Radar. I do actually use Realtek HD and Sonic Studio application.

LAN drivers

I tried to install the latest LAN driver Version 12.15.184.0, but after launching the exe file, nothing happened. The 2 latest LAN drivers are only 2.9MB, where the 3rd latest is 158MB, 4th latest is 317MB, and 5h latest is 147MB. I believe it's either the 158MB and 317MB that has worked for me, where I do actually manage to install the driver.

I also find the driver size a bit confusing. Latest to oldest, top to bottom

Audio driver size

• 150 MB
  • 147 MB
  • 645 MB
  • 642 MB
  • 466 MB

LAN driver size

• 2.9 MB
  • 2.9 MB
  • 158 MB
  • 317 MB
  • 147 MB

Audio drivers and LAN drivers are the only drivers I install from the Asus motherboard site. Chipset I get from AMD because I have Ryzen 1600, and Graphics card drivers I get from Nvidia since I got a GTX 1060 6GB. I'm also running the latest BIOS version 4024. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 1803 OS build 17134.407

I'm probably ignorant, but what drivers to install has confused me for a while. The latest drivers seems to either not install, some applications seems to be missing, or it's just unstable. What seems to be stable for me is to install the 3rd latest Audio driver 645 MB which includes the desktop version of Realtek HD, Sonic Studio, and Sonic Radar. I use Realtek HD to make 2 audio outputs. One for my speakers, and the other for my headphones. Sonic Studio I use to EQ each application I have.

I should also mention that the LAN versions doesn't make much sense to me either.

Version 12.15.184.0
2.9 MBytes

Version 12.17.10.7
2.9 MBytes

Version 22.9.16.0
158.31 MBytes

Version 22.4.16.0
317.32 MBytes

Version 21.1.30.0
147.24 MBytes

The version pattern doesn't make much sense to me. It goes from Version 21.1 -> 22.4 -> 22.9 and then down to 12.17 -> 12.15

So the 2 latest LAN drivers doesn't follow the version pattern, and the driver size is way smaller than the other drivers. I'm just confused.

LzG5FEs.png

bRtPa8C.png

you are looking at older versions.. always download the one with the nearest date to today. Dont worry about older drivers. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

12 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you are looking at older versions.. always download the one with the nearest date to today. Dont worry about older drivers. 

The screenshot was just to show all the drivers that has been available for Audio and LAN. I'm not saying that I have been downloading and installing all of them. My point was that the latest drivers either doesn't seem to install, or it's unstable, or it's missing features. The driver size is confusing too where as an example Audio driver has gone from: 466 MB -> 642 MB -> 645 MB -> 147 MB -> 150 MB.

The latest Audio driver does install the 3 applications that I need, but it's a Windows store version, and Sonic Studio is freezing when I click on "Advanced mode". The 2nd and 3rd latest Audio driver doesn't install the 3 applications I need. Just the driver itself, where the 4th latest audio driver seems to be stable, and it install the 3 applications I need. When I install the 4th latest audio driver which is stable, and does install all the applications I need, the driver and applications will be uninstalled if I install a newer audio driver which results in that it either won't have the applications I need, or the applications is unstable.

Same issues with LAN drivers. Why are the 2 latest drivers only 2.9 MB where the others are 100 MB +? The 2 latest LAN drivers doesn't do anything after I launch the exe file. They just don't install, and I don't understand what has happened.

are you extracting the files before attempting to install? In my experience you need to do that for Asus installers and doesnt work to run the executable from the zip file. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

are you extracting the files before attempting to install? In my experience you need to do that for Asus installers and doesnt work to run the executable from the zip file. 

I'm extracting the zip files before attempting to install them, but the driver size differences worries me. Two latest LAN drivers are only 2.9 MB where the 3 older drivers are 100 MB +. Two latest LAN drives doesn't do anything after launching the exe file. Latest audio drivers are either lacking features, or it's just unstable. Using older Audio and LAN drivers hasn't been a problem tbh, but I just don't understand why these drivers causes such a problem, and why they aren't getting fixed, or pulled out.

I use the same mobo in my most recent build and simply downloaded the most recent driver.  As someone else indicated, make sure you extract the files first before attempting to open/run the exe.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

14 minutes ago, Purgent said:

I use the same mobo in my most recent build and simply downloaded the most recent driver.  As someone else indicated, make sure you extract the files first before attempting to open/run the exe.

I always extract the zip file to then run the exe file. I haven't had any luck with that. The most recent audio driver does install the 3 applications I need, but Sonic Studio is pretty laggy. The program freezes when I click "advanced mode". These applications aren't desktop applications either, but Windows store applications. It doesn't bother me too much, but what bothers me is that Sonic Studio keeps freezing. One time I managed to get into "advanced mode" and where a list of my applications should be displayed, non of the applications got any name to it. Several of the applications were also missing a logo, so I couldn't tell which application was which. 2nd and 3rd latest audio driver doesn't seem to install any of the 3 applications I need, so I'm using the 4th latest audio driver which is stable, it installs the desktop application version and not windows store version, and it includes all 3 applications.

Have you installed the latest LAN driver? It's only 2.9MB. The 2 latest LAN drivers are actually just 2.9MB bur extracting the zip file to then run the exe file results in nothing happening. The 3rd latest LAN version seem to actually install the driver.

The 2 latest LAN drivers doesn't follow the "version pattern" either. There's a total of 5 LAN drivers. 3 of the oldest are all version 21x-22x where the 2 latest drivers are version 12x. I just find it all confusing.

I will stick to using the 4th latest audio driver, and 3rd latest LAN driver. Chipset I will get from AMD, and graphics driver I will get from Nvidia.

I think some of the audio drivers will indicate that you will need to have a previous version before installing the latest.  I think that' might be where you see a difference in sizes, but I haven't visited the page to know exactly.  Or it just could be they optimized their software into a smaller package.  And the LAN drivers might be stand alone driver and a software suite pack.  I prefer to get my LAN drivers directly from Intel because those will be the most up-to-date.  

It's sometimes necessary to read all the provided info on the driver you're looking to install as there may be a pre-requisite.  Whether a previous version is needed first or the need to remove one version to install the latest.  In that case there was probably some fundamental change.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

12 hours ago, nick name said:

I think some of the audio drivers will indicate that you will need to have a previous version before installing the latest.  I think that' might be where you see a difference in sizes, but I haven't visited the page to know exactly.  Or it just could be they optimized their software into a smaller package.  And the LAN drivers might be stand alone driver and a software suite pack.  I prefer to get my LAN drivers directly from Intel because those will be the most up-to-date.  

It's sometimes necessary to read all the provided info on the driver you're looking to install as there may be a pre-requisite.  Whether a previous version is needed first or the need to remove one version to install the latest.  In that case there was probably some fundamental change.  

Problem is that Asus doesn't really give that much information about the drivers. When it comes to Audio drivers, having an older driver to then install a newer driver will automatically uninstall the previous driver, so having an older working driver won't really matter if you install a newer driver, and the latest audio driver doesn't come with desktop application, but the windows store version application which is all buggy. I will check the intel site for the LAN driver.

6 minutes ago, kiicki said:

Problem is that Asus doesn't really give that much information about the drivers. When it comes to Audio drivers, having an older driver to then install a newer driver will automatically uninstall the previous driver, so having an older working driver won't really matter if you install a newer driver, and the latest audio driver doesn't come with desktop application, but the windows store version application which is all buggy. I will check the intel site for the LAN driver.

You should be able to go to Realtek to get drivers there too.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

You should be able to go to Realtek to get drivers there too.  

I have done that in the past, but they offer the driver only. I need the Realtek HD Audio manager application, Sonic Studio, and Sonic Radar. Actually I don't use Sonic Radar, but the two other applications I do need, and I don't know how to install them without installing it from the motherboard page.

Is this the correct LAN driver? I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, kiicki said:

I have done that in the past, but they offer the driver only. I need the Realtek HD Audio manager application, Sonic Studio, and Sonic Radar. Actually I don't use Sonic Radar, but the two other applications I do need, and I don't know how to install them without installing it from the motherboard page.

Is this the correct LAN driver? I have no idea.

Yes that is the correct LAN driver.  

another b350F here with same issue 2 days ago, didnt bother me that much, everything works.

(same os from b350 plus rma changed to b350F )

15 hours ago, kiicki said:

Same issues with LAN drivers. Why are the 2 latest drivers only 2.9 MB where the others are 100 MB +? The 2 latest LAN drivers doesn't do anything after I launch the exe file. They just don't install, and I don't understand what has happened.

the two latest are new format drivers of the NIC. the larger files had the complete installer of app/options/registry; whereas the newer is just the reg/device driver.

NOTICE:
Due to the different structure for drivers, suggest you remove the old driver first before install this version driver.

as to the audio, prolly the same policy is enforce.

15 minutes ago, airdeano said:

the two latest are new format drivers of the NIC. the larger files had the complete installer of app/options/registry; whereas the newer is just the reg/device driver.

as to the audio, prolly the same policy is enforce.

What bothers me about the 2 latest LAN drivers from Asus is that nothing actually happens when I click the exe.

Video

When it comes to the audio drivers, I just think the latest driver is a bit buggy. Sonic Studio keeps freezing when entering the advanced mode. The 2nd and 3rd latest audio driver doesn't seem to come with any Sonic application, and I believe it doesn't come with the Realtek HD audio manager applications either. 4th latest comes with everything, and everything is stable. Upgrading from the 4th latest audio driver to the 3rd, 2nd, or latest audio driver will automatically uninstall the 4th latest audio driver and all the applications that came with it. So audio wise, I think I will stick to the 4th latest at least.

when the drivers are removed, .exe just writes to the directory a file batch that isn't noticeable (SSD speed) and in the background.

49 minutes ago, airdeano said:

when the drivers are removed, .exe just writes to the directory a file batch that isn't noticeable (SSD speed) and in the background.

I believe you are right. Picture

Audio drivers are still an issue though. Maybe a clean install would fix it? If I didn't use the advanced mode in Sonic Studio, I wouldn't care, but I do use it to EQ each application I have. 2nd and 3rd latest audio driver is just not an option because they don't come with the applications I need.

Would you recommend to get the LAN driver from Asus or intel? The Asus one is only 2.9 MB Version 12.15.184.0, where the intel one is 73.43 MB Version: 23.4

A big version gap there. Might not even be the same driver, or Asus has their own version for it.

Edit:
Think I figured out the LAN drivers. No matter if I install the latest or 3rd latest LAN driver from Asus, or the latest driver from intel, it will say Driver Version 12.15.184.0. However, when I install the 3rd latest LAN driver from Asus or latest driver from intel, there will be this "link speed" tab that shows the version. I will just stick with the latest LAN from intel. I don't know what the latest LAN drivers from Asus really are. These link speed, VLANs etc tabs doesn't appear when I install the latest Asus LAN driver.

lVSAyTx.png

Edit 2:
I uninstalled the LAN driver so I wouldn't have any internet connection. I then installed the latest LAN driver from Asus which is 2.9MB. After running the exe, nothing happened. Still no internet connection. I honestly have no idea what kinda driver this is. Installing the 3rd latest LAN driver from Asus or the latest LAN driver from intel seems to work. The 3rd latest LAN driver from Asus and latest LAN driver from intel also has the same "version pattern". Asus 3rd latest LAN driver is Version 22.9.16.0 and is 158 MB. Latest LAN driver from intel is version 23.4 and is 73 MB. The latest LAN driver from Asus is Version 12.15.184.0 and is only 2.9MB. I don't really know what they mean by this version number, because all these drivers says that under "driver version".

So the version 12.15 and version 23.4 is not in the same pattern. What it seems is that the 3rd latest LAN driver from Asus and latest driver from intel is actually referring to the "Intel(R) Pro Set Version" and not the driver version. Non the less, latest LAN driver from Asus doesn't seem to do much tbh, and I see no reason to even use it. It is also missing tabs in "Properties"

• 2 months later...

same issue here did you guys manage to solve the Audio Driver issue? 

I recently built a System for my friend using the B450-F which essentialy has the same audio chipset and features so i was wondering can i simply download and run those? since it has only one driver to chose from which is quite recent to begin with + it has a size of 754 mb so that convinces me even more. my essential question is will i run into any sort of compatibilty issues if i install the b450-F audio Driver on a B350-F motherboard

1 hour ago, reddemolisher said:

same issue here did you guys manage to solve the Audio Driver issue? 

I recently built a System for my friend using the B450-F which essentialy has the same audio chipset and features so i was wondering can i simply download and run those? since it has only one driver to chose from which is quite recent to begin with + it has a size of 754 mb so that convinces me even more. my essential question is will i run into any sort of compatibilty issues if i install the b450-F audio Driver on a B350-F motherboard

I just run old drivers, and it works great. Version 6.0.1.8382 is what I use I believe, but could also be Version 6.0.1.8339.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/