Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CM 500w silent pro with gtx 1070

Hi i got a Zotac Gtx 1070 Amp Extreme and i have Cooler Master 500w silentpro PSU now (http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/power-supplies-by-series/silent-pro-m500/)

I know it's kinda old but i don't have money now to change the PSU right away i have been running the card on that for some time and it was running fine. But the thing that got me curious is that power supply has 2 6pin ports and the connecting wires it has 8 pin on the other side so is it safe to use it? Technically PSU has 2 6pin ports which are being converted to 8pin through cable that came with power supply.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, victor119 said:

Cooler Master 500w silentpro PSU

Replace it.

That unit was OK back in 2009 but by todays standards its a bad PSU because you need independant regulated voltages.

And a PSU that isn#t almost 10 years old like that one.

 

SO there is no reason to keep it as its too old and not good for modern hardware and has low Amperage on +12V.

A good 450W has more on +12V and a good 400W is very close.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Replace it.

That unit was OK back in 2009 but by todays standards its a bad PSU because you need independant regulated voltages.

And a PSU that isn#t almost 10 years old like that one.

 

SO there is no reason to keep it as its too old and not good for modern hardware and has low Amperage on +12V.

A good 450W has more on +12V and a good 400W is very close.

Are there no good group regulated units?

 

I just saw gamers nexus using an EVGA 450BT on a build.

 

youtubers don't seem to care much about PSUs either

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

Are there no good group regulated units?

Due to the way it works, it can't be good.

 

17 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

I just saw gamers nexus using an EVGA 450BT on a build.

Yeah, because they don't care about PSU as do most.

Oklahomawolf said that he'd do a Review of that and that it'd be his last.

 

17 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

youtubers don't seem to care much about PSUs either

No, because they're mostly Entertainment....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, because they don't care about PSU as do most.

Oklahomawolf said that he'd do a Review of that and that it'd be his last.

1

why will it be his last?

 

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Due to the way it works, it can't be good.

 

right

 

Idk why I was told that it was fine for system integrators, I suppose that doesn't say much. SI try to cut corners on everything, specially on PSUs because, like you said people won't see the difference. On the other hand, system integrators won't put something that causes them issues or will they?

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, because they're mostly Entertainment....

1

Yeah but GN seems knowledgeable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So i ran furmark with 4k preset and on gpu z it showed max Gpu wattage to be 259W which is 103% tdp and everything ran fine i even ran 3d marks benchmarks time spy and firestrike. No issues so far

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 17030644 said:

why will it be his last?

Because he's retiring:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15718

 

Has done PSU Reviews for more than 10 years and wants to do something else...

 

7 hours ago, 17030644 said:

Idk why I was told that it was fine for system integrators, I suppose that doesn't say much. SI try to cut corners on everything, specially on PSUs because, like you said people won't see the difference. On the other hand, system integrators won't put something that causes them issues or will they?

There are sources that told me that System Integrators want PSU that explode after 2 Years or so.

 

7 hours ago, 17030644 said:

Yeah but GN seems knowledgeable.

..seems, except for PSU...

Wich is the case with most people, that they care more about everything else but not the PSU...

2 hours ago, victor119 said:

So i ran furmark with 4k preset and on gpu z it showed max Gpu wattage to be 259W which is 103% tdp and everything ran fine i even ran 3d marks benchmarks time spy and firestrike. No issues so far

does work != good idea.

Your motor will run with 10 year old Oil, question is for how long. Same is with the PSU. Its like Oil for your PC.

And with a shitty one, you can reduce the lifetime of your components....


And what does the +12V input say in GPU-Z?? 11.2V or so? 10,9V??

 

 

Anyway, why do you want to kill your shit with such an ancient PSU?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Because he's retiring:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15718

 

Has done PSU Reviews for more than 10 years and wants to do something else...

 

 

so sad, well, life goes on

 

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

 

There are sources that told me that System Integrators want PSU that explode after 2 Years or so.

 

 

maybe

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

 

..seems, except for PSU...

Wich is the case with most people, that they care more about everything else but not the PSU...

1

I completely agree with that, most youtubers know some until you get to psu stuff if people don't know much it's because they don't care about the PSU

 

there aren't even many PSU reviews posted on youtube (actual PSU reviews with the proper testing equipment)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×