How long do you keep your packaging for stuff you have purchased?

Canada EH

How long do you keep your packaging for stuff you have purchased?

I keep mine for a bit because sometimes it comes in handy when something else comes on sale for a cheaper price.

I just repackage the stuff I bought, return it as I have never used it, and buy the cheaper product.

I am doing just that right now, the cheaper on sale product has a few less features and not the plastique rubber grip, and is a bit smaller, the display is the same and it was about double the price. There are slight nuances, but nothing spectacular.

It is weird how some stores price their sale items, but if you pay attention, its to your benefit.

What I might do is hit up the paint aisle and see if there is a can of plastic grip stuff I can adhere to the plastique for better grip just so it doesnt fall and crack the display.

Some things I keep for years. Other things I throw away immediately.

Computer parts, I hang on to.

Gun boxes, I hold onto until I have an actual case for the gun.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I used to just throw them away after I confirmed the product working but now I usually just keep it. Comes in handy when reselling. 

Typically for small things I won't keep packaging. It will get immediately recycled or thrown away. Otherwise I keep packaging as long as the return policy of the retailer I bought it from. The receipt and a sticky note are attached to the box with the date in which I can recycle or toss the packaging written on the sticky note.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Computer parts

You know what is kind of funny?

You know how people buy $20,000+ vehicles or any priced vehicle for that matter. And they leave the license plate frame and stickers on from the stealership.

Then you see those people with a brand spanking new car, polished and shined up with a big fat and fugly AAA/CAA auto club sticker on it. I always wondered why people do that, like the Tow Truck driver is going to spot that sticker from across the parking lot.

For what its worth, I leave the items I buy as pristine as possible and try not to scratch it for a month or two, keeping my eyes peeled for a sale. I am not one to plaster stickers on my items, no rgb for me neither.

What comes in handy is the packaging, the foam, especially high density foam, cardboard is good to keep around as well, same with bubble wrap. Kids love popping the bubbles.

I keep boxes and packaging for at least the length of the warranty. If it's an item that might be difficult to ship for repair post warranty, I may keep its packaging even longer.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

You know what is kind of funny?

You know how people buy $20,000+ vehicles or any priced vehicle for that matter. And they leave the license plate frame and stickers on from the stealership.

Then you see those people with a brand spanking new car, polished and shined up with a big fat and fugly AAA/CAA auto club sticker on it. I always wondered why people do that, like the Tow Truck driver is going to spot that sticker from across the parking lot....

Not this old lady. I don't give anyone free advertising.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Until they no longer fit in my closet... But usually until I get rid of whatever came in that packaging.
For boxes, I break them down to make them flat so they take less space. Unless they had things like styrofoam in them.
I do recycle right away things like clamp shell packaging and boxes of stuff I wouldn't be reselling online though, like a PC cases or monitors

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I always wondered why people do that,

It's a psuedo necessity to use AAA.

AAA is a scam though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

recycle

Well yes, suppose to recycle, but it just takes up too much time. I am just "too busy" to separate items.

Sometimes I will do a dumpster run if I have too much crap. I am noticing now that the new area's building homes lock their dumpsters with a grate on top. Great for grabbing wasted wood, that is "recycling" ;)

I will even keep plastic food containers, like Eau Claires, great for your Junk Bolt and Screw bin.

It is well worth it for older vehicles that break down, because you can get the 400 mile tow like 4 times a year, but there are other services available too, like Costco has an auto club, same goes for credit cards. Its good to to go to those AAA/CAA for other things too, insurance, travel, visas, brochures. One stop shop!

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

AAA is a scam though.

keep the costly computer stuff till warranty expires, toss the rest

Nothing to see here, move along

Just now, Canada EH said:

Well yes, suppose to recycle, but it just takes up too much time. I am just "too busy" to separate items.

Eh, here it's really just a matter of putting it on a clear bag instead of a black bag outside on collection day(or just a recycling bin if you have one... which everyone got one issued for free by the city here)... It takes zero time at all. No need to separate it. In fact, there's no point separating it since it all goes to a recycling center that then mix everything up for manual sorting by the employees...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

It is well worth it for older vehicles that break down, because you can get the 400 mile tow like 4 times a year, but there are other services available too, like Costco has an auto club, same goes for credit cards. Its good to to go to those AAA/CAA for other things too, insurance, travel, visas, brochures. One stop shop!

They've never lived up to their promises when my original Dakota engine went caput or when my dad had troubles with his V10 Ram 2500.

They're not worth it at all. Nothing but a bunch of conmen. One is better served just putting that fee into a dedicated checking account.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Computer parts, I hang on to.

Gun boxes, I hold onto until I have an actual case for the gun.

There were some super cheap guns for sale on Black Friday. $200 for some nice pump shotties. 

I kept most pc part boxes. If the item costs 100+ $ and can fit back in the box with minimal disassembly, i kept the box. 

31 minutes ago, fpo said:

There were some super cheap guns for sale on Black Friday.

None that interest me. Plus, I want to get my 590 kitted out as the tacticool shotty I bought it for.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I intend to keep all the packaging indefinitely. It gives me a place to store the items if I upgrade to something else, and the packaging is usually sufficient that the product won't break.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

It's a psuedo necessity to use AAA.

AAA is a scam though.

My mom has AAA, and I found it to be a waste of money to be part of a membership so I opted out of it. If I would ever need them for something, they'd probably be able to come down and get me. Not worth spending ~$80 a year for something I might need.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

My mom has AAA, and I found it to be a waste of money to be part of a membership so I opted out of it. If I would ever need them for something, they'd probably be able to come down and get me. Not worth spending ~$80 a year for something I might need.

Yeah. Unless I get some #!@%box that's super unreliable I don't see a reason for any recovery service membership. You're better off just having to call them and pay a fee tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Not worth spending ~$80 a year for something I might need.

Not worth spending $80 a year when what they promise, they don't uphold. Like only covering the first 4 miles of a tow. Great, after 3 years with AAA, I saved a cool crisp $10 bill on a $120 tow.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

No need to separate it.

You have to separate it, 3 bins. Too much work! I just use all 3 as regular garbage bins.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

They've never lived up to their promises when my original Dakota engine went caput or when my dad had troubles with his V10 Ram 2500.

What promises were those?

It says right in the pamphlet, you get a certain amount of  miles for a tow. I have used it several times about 250 miles. Then you can just let it sit for a few days, move it a block, and get them to move it again. Like 4 times they can come to your broken down p.o.s. ride and boost, unlock or tow. The tow part is the valuable saver, because once I had to get a tow 350 miles and it was expensive.

I keep all my packaging until it's either broken/torn/ripped or it not longer fits in my closet.

I've kept every single packaging box of my PC component parts minus my SSD because it didn't come in retail packaging... Same goes for any peripherals.

I don't know if this is my hoarder instinct coming in, but I enjoy seeing so much boxes stacked on top of each other, it's like organised clutter.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

if it's important stuff, forever. like mobo and graphics card boxes. if not, right away, fold into small pieces and dump it.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

for computer parts its untill i sell it, i keep all of it in mint condition stored away somewhere untill i sell it.  most other stuff gets thrown away as soon as i make sure the product works

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I keep all boxes of parts/peripherals over € 50 for two years.

After that I either toss them, but when they look good on a shelf or just in general I tend to hang onto them and put them on display.

Did so with my PS3/PS4/Mouse/Headset boxes as they are all matching nicely on top of my closet.

I'll edit my post in a few minutes with some pictures .. don't judge ;)

Edit:

attached some pictures, I just realized how much boxes I actually kept :o

To think there are more in the attic from screens and such..

Top.thumb.jpg.acc24a5e6741104a2e310c9cfa673215.jpg

Closet.thumb.jpg.d13718563d1dc10a623a6748d2d30abf.jpg

Edited by Sfekke
Pictures added .. while also realizing I'm a fecking hoarder :')

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*