Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Smart Plug is Frying Light Bulbs !

Boomwebsearch

I bought a Merkury Innovations Indoor and Outdoor Smart wireless plug for my lamp during Walmart's Black Friday Promotion. I have had this lamp in one of my rooms which I wanted to have smart functionality through the Google Home device which is already within that room. Today, one of the light bulbs burned out completely and I replaced it only to find that the other one had also gotten burned out just now by this smart plug and the light just went off in the room. The old bulb was a CFL one and the new one which I put was a LED one which are both now rendered useless. Could this be of the fault of the new smart plug which was introduced, I really do not want to test other electronics with it to test because I think that they may be fried although why would it be that the bulb only gets fried and not the entire lamp?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I bought a Merkury Innovations Indoor and Outdoor Smart wireless plug for my lamp during Walmart's Black Friday Promotion. I have had this lamp in one of my rooms which I wanted to have smart functionality through the Google Home device which is already within that room. Today, one of the light bulbs burned out completely and I replaced it only to find that the other one had also gotten burned out just now by this smart plug and the light just went off in the room. The old bulb was a CFL one and the new one which I put was a LED one which are both now rendered useless. Could this be of the fault of the new smart plug which was introduced, I really do not want to test other electronics with it to test because I think that they may be fried although why would it be that the bulb only gets fried and not the entire lamp?

I don't think a smart p[lug can be the cause of your light's burning out, as it's just a pass-through for power with a relay.  But you can try measuring voltage with a multi-meter.(Be careful though!)

2 minutes ago, timl132 said:

as it's just a pass-through for power with a relay.  But you can try measuring voltage with a multi-meter.(Be careful though!)

This lamp used to be there and plugged directly in the wall where the light bulb did not get burned out like this. I bought a new LED one from the local hardware store and when I tried it it burned out. I do not happen to have a multi-meter although maybe I could get one online or within a store. Is there any dangers which would be associated with measuring it, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to electricity?

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that needs to be an extreme level of bad electronics to cause such harm..

Yes, two bulbs have gotten destroyed already, not sure exactly what the problem is. Maybe the unit is faulty or maybe a surge is the problem because the light I always have in the on position although the smart plugs engages and disengages the electricity which is then used to power the bulb. Would a surge protector being connected to the setup prevent this from occurring again or would I have to replace the plug and get another bulb?

@Boomwebsearch 

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

This lamp used to be there and plugged directly in the wall where the light bulb did not get burned out like this. I bought a new LED one from the local hardware store and when I tried it it burned out. I do not happen to have a multi-meter although maybe I could get one online or within a store. Is there any dangers which would be associated with measuring it, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to electricity?

Yes, two bulbs have gotten destroyed already, not sure exactly what the problem is. Maybe the unit is faulty or maybe a surge is the problem because the light I always have in the on position although the smart plugs engages and disengages the electricity which is then used to power the bulb. Would a surge protector being connected to the setup prevent this from occurring again or would I have to replace the plug and get another bulb?

i guess its possible the plug creates an extreme amount of noise on your power signal.. but i cant grasp how they could even do that since doing it right is so cheap and simple..

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i guess its possible the plug creates an extreme amount of noise on your power signal.. but i cant grasp how they could even do that since doing it right is so cheap and simple.

It was on sale at Walmart and cost 10 USD from like almost 19 dollars, I think that it was a good deal although I am shocked at how this unit has destroyed the bulbs. I think that I am going to get it returned although I do not want to even try to plug this thing back into a standard outlet with a new bulb because I think that it may get fried. Would it be possible that the lamp itself could have been damaged and for the electrical noise, would a certain surge protector be able to filter it as a UPS seems to be way not necessary for this as it may cost like 4-6 times what this plug was purchased for?

@Boomwebsearch 

15 hours ago, timl132 said:

I don't think a smart p[lug can be the cause of your light's burning out, as it's just a pass-through for power with a relay.  But you can try measuring voltage with a multi-meter.(Be careful though!)

A worn-out or low-quality relay, light-switch etc. can totally burn LED-bulbs out: the cheap LED-bulbs use a capacitor-dropper inside to drop the mains-voltage down to a voltage that's safe for the LEDs and a capacitor-dropper relies on a certain mains switching-frequency for its functionality -- too high frequency, it doesn't work right and doesn't drop the voltage down enough, and too low frequency, it drops too much. Now, the issue is, with worn-out or low-quality metal-contacts inside relays/light-switches/etc. the contacts may bounce up and down very rapidly for several milliseconds, causing the capacitor in the LED-bulbs to see a switching-frequency of hundreds or thousands, instead of the expected 50Hz/60Hz, thereby giving the LEDs way too high voltage and causing them to break.

There are two solutions to the problem: use a LED-bulb that doesn't use a capacitor-dropper (good luck finding out which ones do and which ones don't, however!) or replace the light-switch/relay/etc.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.