why NOT to use Intel rapid storage

ichabod the phage

i had 2 different hard drives fail on me in a single day. yep you heard that right, 2 failures in a single day.

the way i crashed both is actually surprising, all i did was enable Intel rapid storage on my bios.

it took me installing another hard disk into my computer to fully understand the problem,

as the second one also failed when Intel rapid storage was enabled.

but lucky i was able to disable Intel rapid storage before i put in a server grade hard disk.

now i know to never trust Intel with my storage mediums

I fail to see how caching to RAM would cause a hardware failture in a disk drive. I do see how unstable RAM or system buss could cause corrupted data to be written back to a disk drive and cause a data corruption issue. As someone who has had a hard drive catch fire before as well as crashed heads, dead arm motors, and bad spindle bearings, not to mention the more usual bad sectors "crashed hard drive" doesn't mean just "corrupted data". Look at your CPU, RAM, and motherboard stability first before proclaiming the culprit found, things may not be as stable as you think!

Many moons ago I thought a computer was stable with an over clocked PCI buss, it was later when I found a bunch of corrupt files on my RAID1 array that I realized things were not as stable as I thought! I never tested the PC buss, I just assumed it was OK because it worked fine when gaming and running prime95.

Define your failure? What does your smart data say? I find that extremely hard to believe irst caused hardware failures like that. Something else is wrong/failing.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

Also wonder what part of Intel RST you were enabling. It does several different things.