Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Front panel usb 3.0 port melted xbox charge and play cable but wont power a keyboard

Havox2K

So i recently tryed to upgrade an older gaming  pc i had to give to a friend. I bought a Thermaltake cor G3 case, with a corsair SF600 PSU, and used the old mobo/cup (M3970AM-HP (Angelica2) with AMD FX6200 CPU) after connecting everything where it goes and having to try to find a mobo manual online to figure out where the small 1 and 2 pin connectors go on the mobo i start it up and everything runs great.. accept the usb 3.0's on the front. the mobo has a spot to plug them in so i check to makee sure the connector is secure and no pins are bent. Carefully plug it back in and connect my xbox one charge and play cable with a controller connected to it just to see if the light turns on. When i turn on the pc it booted as usual but the light on the charger was off. Within 5-ish minutes the cable started smoking and it now has a hole melted in the side of it. either way you look at it, it must have some kind of power going to the usb 3.0's but when i connect a keyboard to either of them.... nothing.. I know this is alot but any insight would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

2 hours ago, Havox2K said:

So i recently tryed to upgrade an older gaming  pc i had to give to a friend. I bought a Thermaltake cor G3 case, with a corsair SF600 PSU, and used the old mobo/cup (M3970AM-HP (Angelica2) with AMD FX6200 CPU) after connecting everything where it goes and having to try to find a mobo manual online to figure out where the small 1 and 2 pin connectors go on the mobo i start it up and everything runs great.. accept the usb 3.0's on the front. the mobo has a spot to plug them in so i check to makee sure the connector is secure and no pins are bent. Carefully plug it back in and connect my xbox one charge and play cable with a controller connected to it just to see if the light turns on. When i turn on the pc it booted as usual but the light on the charger was off. Within 5-ish minutes the cable started smoking and it now has a hole melted in the side of it. either way you look at it, it must have some kind of power going to the usb 3.0's but when i connect a keyboard to either of them.... nothing.. I know this is alot but any insight would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

It sounds like a short in the cable itself. Check for any damage to the cable. What causes smoke is the negative and positive wires crossing. This is dangerous and could potentially damage your hardware so I would stop using those front USBs and unplug the front panel connector from your motherboard immediately just in case the short is in that cable not the one for your xbox cable. Not worth risking even having that still plugged in until you find the short.