Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

970 EVO cheaper than the 960EVO?

chronuss

I am building a computer soon for VR in my living room and girlfriend's writing job. I was looking at the 970 EVO nvme SSD  https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J/   and the 960 EVO nvme SSD  https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E500BW/dp/B01M20VBU7/ .    I noticed that the 970 was considerably cheaper than the 960 and I am confused as to why.  Are these the same type of drive? Is there some difference I don't know?  I'm just going to be using it for the OS Windows 10, and Some bigger open world type games to load more quickly. Would the 970 EVO be a better choice? I don't know if its on sale or what.  Anyone have more info?

The 970 Evo replaced the 960 Evo, so there's no point continuing to manufacture the old drive. As stock dries up, the price goes up.

That seems strange. I thought they would just keep it the same price until it was gone. So the 970 EVO nvme drive I linked is just straight up better than the 960 EVO nvme drive I linked?

The 970 is designed to replace the 960. As the 970 is out there is absolutely no point in producing the 960. Stock goes down, price goes up. 

Just now, chronuss said:

That seems strange. I thought they would just keep it the same price until it was gone. So the 970 EVO nvme drive I linked is just straight up better than the 960 EVO nvme drive I linked?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The 970 Evo replaced the 960 Evo, so there's no point continuing to manufacture the old drive. As stock dries up, the price goes up.

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

The 970 is designed to replace the 960. As the 970 is out there is absolutely no point in producing the 960. Stock goes down, price goes up. 

Image result for spider man clone meme

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

Also, random side question... Would buying a regular 1TB 960 EVO SSD   https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E2T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/   be any worse for a VR gaming computer? It would mainly just be for more drive space vs the M.2 drive.

I was interested in the M.2 drives for the speed and having the OS on there.

Also, do you think the 970 EVO nvme drive will stay at $117 from here on out? I will be finishing the computer in January/Febuary.

2 minutes ago, chronuss said:

Also, random side question... Would buying a regular 1TB 960 EVO SSD   https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E2T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/   be any worse for a VR gaming computer? It would mainly just be for more drive space vs the M.2 drive.

I was interested in the M.2 drives for the speed and having the OS on there.

I would consider that better for VR, as it means you have room to fit more/all of your VR games on the SSD. Running VR games off an HDD sucks, as loading screens are a lot worse in VR than regular gaming. The real-world speed difference between an HDD and a SATA SSD is much, much bigger than the difference between a SATA SSD and an NVMe SSD.

1 hour ago, TeenTesla said:

Image result for spider man clone meme

Lol. I was probably typing at the same time as @Sakkura, but I was afk for a bit.