ASUS X470 CROSSHAIR HERO VII (non wifi) Q CODE 8

Hello,

Recently I decided to switch from my intel I5 8th gen and z370 board to Ryzen.

I've made sure to connect everything correctly, this is not my first build, and I've already built with Ryzen before.

When I hit start or push the power button on my case, all my components Light up, I can see the RGB, but I get no video signal from my RTX 2080, and board only shows q code 8_,

code is not described on manual, I've found several forums with the same issue and no aparent solution but to RMA, I've tried reseating everything, working a test bench on my box. Switching my 2 8gig ram sticks to different slots, using 1 ram stick on different slots.

All of the components work if I go back to my intel build, 

PSU connections are tight and correctly seated, I'm at a loss here and not sure what to do.

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

Not sure if it helps but there is a new firmware out that came very recently 1004 I think is the version number.

Check this thread if they have a solution perhaps. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91842-Asus-Crosshair-VI-Hero-Q-Code-8-Not-Starting

He using the X470 based Crosshair VII Hero, rather than the X370 Crosshair VI Hero.

Anyways, latest BIOS is from November-2-2018, version 1002.

You should be able to use the USB BIOS Flashback feature if you can't get a display.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

If post codes are similar between revisions (X370 & X470) then my previous post (see below) might give you a not too good solution. I had the same post code 8 you are experiencing.

TL;DR Motherboard is a dud. Had to RMA it.

Have you tried the BIOS Flashback with a FAT32 formatted USB stick and naming the 1002 BIOS CAP file C7H.CAP?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

23 minutes ago, nick name said:

Have you tried the BIOS Flashback with a FAT32 formatted USB stick and naming the 1002 BIOS CAP file C7H.CAP?

I did try flashing the bios with the alocated USB slot for flashing, it flashed correctly but I still was unable to get it to post or show video, I found multiple threads about the code appearing on crosshair VI and Crosshair VII motherboards, but none of them seam to reach a conclusion.

To clarify, code is not q code 08, It's 8 Blank, I have a RTX 2080, 16 Gigs of Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram rated at 3000Mhz, a 2700x, All of the components work fine on my intel build. I've already requested a replacement from Amazon but I'm afraid I may have the same problem.

I have not been able to post, see bios or anything as there's no video.

1 minute ago, SrAbsolution said:

I did try flashing the bios with the alocated USB slot for flashing, it flashed correctly but I still was unable to get it to post or show video, I found multiple threads about the code appearing on crosshair VI and Crosshair VII motherboards, but none of them seam to reach a conclusion.

To clarify, code is not q code 08, It's 8 Blank, I have a RTX 2080, 16 Gigs of Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram rated at 3000Mhz, a 2700x, All of the components work fine on my intel build. I've already requested a replacement from Amazon but I'm afraid I may have the same problem.

I have not been able to post, see bios or anything as there's no video.

Does your board LED go from red to yellow?

Also, are you using the correct RAM slots? (I'm sure you checked the manual for installation, but I've seen a few other folks install in the wrong slots recently). 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

Does your board LED go from red to yellow?

Also, are you using the correct RAM slots? (I'm sure you checked the manual for installation, but I've seen a few other folks install in the wrong slots recently). 

Which Led are you referring to?.

And yes, this is not my first build, I used 2 Dimms at first, switched them, I obviously used a1 b1 first, then a2, b2, then just one dimm switching around.

I was very confident on my build so I set it up on my case first, after not getting video, but seeing all components light up, i tried reseating all connections, CPU, cpu cooler, etc to no avail. I took it out of the case and redid everything on the motherboard box to no avail. Flashed different bios, restarted cmos and removed cmos battery.

7 minutes ago, SrAbsolution said:

Which Led are you referring to?.

And yes, this is not my first build, I used 2 Dimms at first, switched them, I obviously used a1 b1 first, then a2, b2, then just one dimm switching around.

I was very confident on my build so I set it up on my case first, after not getting video, but seeing all components light up, i tried reseating all connections, CPU, cpu cooler, etc to no avail. I took it out of the case and redid everything on the motherboard box to no avail. Flashed different bios, restarted cmos and removed cmos battery.

The LED next to the QCODE readout.  I think the order is Red Yellow White Green.

You re-seated your CPU also?

And I don't mean to offer my solutions assuming you don't know what you're doing -- I just want to offer anything I can think of so you don't have to deal with a RMA.  

9 minutes ago, nick name said:

The LED next to the QCODE readout.  I think the order is Red Yellow White Green.

You re-seated your CPU also?

And I don't mean to offer my solutions assuming you don't know what you're doing -- I just want to offer anything I can think of so you don't have to deal with a RMA.  

I reseated everything and their mother, I didn't notice a led though, only when no ram was installed I noticed a red lead, but the q code only showed a red 8 with a blank space to the right., In all forum posts I've found seems to only happen with the non wifi version, but I don't want to shell out more for wifi when I don't need it. And I was really digging this motherboard.

8 minutes ago, SrAbsolution said:

I reseated everything and their mother, I didn't notice a led though, only when no ram was installed I noticed a red lead, but the q code only showed a red 8 with a blank space to the right., In all forum posts I've found seems to only happen with the non wifi version, but I don't want to shell out more for wifi when I don't need it. And I was really digging this motherboard.

Ahh well when you get a working board then that red LED will cycle through the colors I listed earlier during POST.  Hopefully, Amazon will get you a new board quickly.  I believe you'll be very happy with it once you get one that works.  It give you the ability to use your CPU in more ways than other boards do.  

It could be a faulty board in this case...e.g. hardware level fault.

DOA boards do happen, but it would be uncommon to have 2 bad ones back-to-back.

Have Amazon get you a new replacement, and see how that goes first.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

8 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

It could be a faulty board in this case...e.g. hardware level fault.

DOA boards do happen, but it would be uncommon to have 2 bad ones back-to-back.

Have Amazon get you a new replacement, and see how that goes first.

I hope this is the case and not s cpu problem

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone wondering, I already received my new board and it worked flawlessly on the first plug. Thanks everyone.