I'm not the first to ask this, but... (Asus PG279Q vs PG278QR)

Mr Technician

Let me get right to the point: The IPS version of this monitor is available from Microcenter for $550, while the TN version is on Amazon for $450. What turns me away is the poor colors of the TN panel. Does the TN panel calibrate well or is it still quite poor compared to the IPS display? I do like having good colors whenever possible because I am a photo and video editor. I've done a bit of research and there are people who recommend both monitors for various reasons.

Edit: I just found this deal: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502 It looks to be a good TN display as they go...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

PG278QR is WQHD where as the other one isn't. In My opinion I would go with the PG278QR. :D 

1 minute ago, ProRifts said:

PG278QR is WQHD where as the other one isn't. In My opinion I would go with the PG278QR. :D 

No they're both 1440p displays...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

I just ordered a pg279q it was on a great deal (priced under the TN version you mention) I have looked at many reviews, opinions and threads here on the forum and in most cases people tend to favour the IPS. The only area the TN is better is the 1 ms instead of 4 ms, but those numbers seems to be useless, since there is no standard of messurement and most reviews I have seen claim that you can't see or feel any difference in terms of input lag ie.

The IPS has better viewing angles, much better colour and sharpness.

Now.. If you play competitive FPS only and play for cash.. then maybe a TN is still to be prefered, but if you like me play all around and also use the PC for other stuff, then IPS is imo the best way to go.. Again the reviews I have seen say there is no visable difference from the difference in response time.. in all.. the 1 ms is not true anyway and is more like 8 and the ISP more like 10.. its due to the way they meassure as I said earlier.

https://displaylag.com/display-database/

If you find the two in the link above you will notice that the ISP have 12ms true response time and not actually the 4ms shown. 12ms is actually pretty awesome for an IPS. This is due to the fact that the "4ms advertised is" pixel response time and not really input lag.

You will not see a difference in terms of pixel reponse on those two! of that I am almost certain albeit being no expert at all..

So to cut it short instead of me getting myself into something I can't explain 100% I do dare to say go with the ISP unless you only play FPS games.

I actually went ahead and bought the dell sg2716dgr for $350, since the colors are quite good for a TN panel and I’ve had good experiences with dell tn displays in the past.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

10 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I actually went ahead and bought the dell sg2716dgr for $350, since the colors are quite good for a TN panel and I’ve had good experiences with dell tn displays in the past.

If you take the price into account it seems like a good deal. It is much much cheaper than the two Asus models.