Methods of filling a GPU block+pipes with QDCs (homemade EK Phoenix)

Jay Deah

I've currently got an EK MLC Phoenix Setup with 360 Rad module CPU+GPU on a 1080ti Strix

i'm interested in going for a 2080ti Founders card and so far my watercooling option looks to be to buy a generic EK 2080ti block, a bit of pipe and some QDC fittings and use that to replace the Phoenix.

plumbing everything together will be easy enough but i cant think what the best way of filling the block will be as the phoenix is pre-filled. i know it will be possible to do it the normal way by topping up the resevour on the rad module but this is fiddly as it has a teeny tiny res and its not really designed for people to open it up so its a bit awkward. Any ideas how i can fill up the block+pipes away from the rest of the system so i can simply plug+play into the PC?

Cheers

4 hours ago, Jay Deah said:

Pour liquid into the tubes before putting on the QDCs?

Wait for the pre filled loop from ek for the 2080ti. 

Buy an extra set of qdc’s and prefill the gpu before adding it to the loop. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I get the concept of prefling it, what I’m after is a practical ‘how’.syringes? Gravity? Submerge? Etc.

youre literally repeating my question back to me as an answer... lol

Poor the fluid in.... a funnel perhaps. 

when it comes out both hoses, it’s full. Then remove the qdc’s. Connect to the rest of the system. Done. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Please refer to my super detailed and high res photo.

So a QDC should stop the liquid from leaking out the far end as long as nothing is plugged in to it. You will need an extra QDC connection and a piece of tube and a funnel. You use the extra tube and QDC to connect to your setup and add fluid. You will want to fill the system slowly and try to make sure it isn't coming past the original QDC connection on the GPU line if possible. Once you think it is getting full. Disconnect the extra tube and give the whole setup a nice shake making sure to keep the fill end higher than the rest. Then connect the setup again and add more liquid. Do that until the shaking step no longer creates space for more fluid. At that point the setup is full and you are done.

image.png.3360da8345709db3d42fb9022bf844d7.png

Or do the old t line fill/res they use to use for water cooling back in the day before the res came out.