Are fanless power supplies really worth it?

Altruist

i'm aware that the only way to be "silent" is to remove all moving parts, hence fanless psu. But, the one i'm looking to get is £220.

Thats an insane price for a power supply, im aware is it extremely high quality but at that price i may as well get a high watt psu that can push many more watts then i need and hopefully it'll stay in a fan off mode.

i think you get my point.

Please comment your opinions :D

I may be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Altruist said:

i'm aware that the only way to be "silent" is to remove all moving parts, hence fanless psu.

No, its not true because even non moving parts can be loud and moving parts can be rather quiet.

At ~500rpm or lower, a good fan is barely noticable, so its not the only way to get a relatively quiet system.

But, the one i'm looking to get is £220.

Thats an insane price for a power supply, im aware is it extremely high quality but at that price i may as well get a high watt psu that can push many more watts then i need and hopefully it'll stay in a fan off mode.

i think you get my point.

Yeah its probably that expensive because:

a) its a really small niche market

b) they have to account for the failures.

As fanless units we've seen so far don't have a particularly good track record when it comes to reliability.

Please comment your opinions :D

Fanless PSU are a Niche for very select customers.

YOu'd probably be fine with a lower noise PSU like be quiet Straight Power 11.

Maybe even something more "normal" like Bitfenix Formula and Whisper M (only 450 and 550W).

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, its not true because even non moving parts can be loud and moving parts can be rather quiet.

At ~500rpm or lower, a good fan is barely noticable, so its not the only way to get a relatively quiet system. 

i was aware of this, i simply forget.

And as for your opinion you pointed alot i didn't know, ty :D

And why arent fanless psu reliable? It's the start of a pc i dont wanna mess up.

I may be wrong.

1 minute ago, Altruist said:

And why arent fanless psu reliable? It's the start of a pc i dont wanna mess up.

Because they get way hotter than a normal fanned PSU.

The Delta between no airflow and a bit airflow is enormous, you can expect something like 20-30K depending on the airflow with the same heatsinks.

That's why you want a couple of good quality, low rpm fans instead of fanless designs.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

What are you powering? As mentioned you'd probably be better off with a PSU that has a quiet fan rather than fully fanless. Also will cost half as much.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

What are you powering? As mentioned you'd probably be better off with a PSU that has a quiet fan rather than fully fanless. Also will cost half as much.

This isn't to help me, make a choice tbh.

just want know peoples opinions and facts also

I may be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because they get way hotter than a normal fanned PSU.

The Delta between no airflow and a bit airflow is enormous, you can expect something like 20-30K depending on the airflow with the same heatsinks.

That's why you want a couple of good quality, low rpm fans instead of fanless designs.

Mhm, well thanks also going off topic a bit.

I'm looking to custom sleeve and the pin out diagrams on the be quiet straight power 11 seem to match device side standards, so either they're the only company to make thing simple or it the device end connection. im sure you know this better then me but...idk like 12v on a 5v could be deadly.

so what is it?

k..PNG

I may be wrong.

1 minute ago, Altruist said:

This isn't to help me, make a choice tbh.

just want know peoples opinions and facts also

I thought you were thinking about buying the seasonic and wanted to know if it was a good idea or not?

18 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Important to know the full parts list, as it's pointless spending a huge amount of money on a "silent" PSU then put a GPU with a crap cooler in it that runs at 50dBA while gaming...

Most good quality PSUs with decent fans should be quieter than other components in the system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I thought you were thinking about buying the seasonic and wanted to know if it was a good idea or not?

Important to know the full parts list, as it's pointless spending a huge amount of money on a "silent" PSU then put a GPU with a crap cooler in it that runs at 50dBA while gaming...

Most good quality PSUs with decent fans should be quieter than other components in the system.

oh shesh, yes i am i completely lost my mind...so sorry!

i'm look to get a 9700k,2080ti and 16-32gb of ram on an asus maximus xi gene (m-atx z390) with a couple sata drives and hdds.

since im gaming a 1080p, yes ik my build is over kill for it, at 144hz i can underclock and undervolt my cpu so cooling wont be a problem, with a nh-u14s.

I may be wrong.

7 minutes ago, Altruist said:

oh shesh, yes i am i completely lost my mind...so sorry!

i'm look to get a 9700k,2080ti and 16-32gb of ram on an asus maximus xi gene (m-atx z390) with a couple sata drives and hdds.

since im gaming a 1080p, yes ik my build is over kill for it, at 144hz i can underclock and undervolt my cpu so cooling wont be a problem, with a nh-u14s.

You could just save a few hundred/thousand and buy a Ryzen 2600 and 1070/ti instead and still achieve the same performance. Buying high end parts and then intentionally throttling them down to the performance level of cheaper parts is just throwing money away.

I’m gaming a RX580 and an i5 8600 for 1080p and I get well over 144FPS in the games that matter. My basic system cost less than your planned graphics card.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 hour ago, Altruist said:

i'm aware that the only way to be "silent" is to remove all moving parts, hence fanless psu.

No, It doesn't work that way, even non moving parts like coils make noise

A fan that spins low enough will be virtually inaudible, so having a fanless PSU won't make a real difference

you can get something like a corsair RMx/RMi, bitfenix formula/whisper M/straight power 11 and those psu are equally quiet, cheap and do have fans on them

53 minutes ago, Altruist said:

bc of no air coming in maybe?

40 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

No, It doesn't work that way, even non moving parts like coils make noise

A fan that spins low enough will be virtually inaudible, so having a fanless PSU won't make a real difference

you can get something like a corsair RMx/RMi, bitfenix formula/whisper M/straight power 11 and those psu are equally quiet, cheap and do have fans on them

corrected myself

40 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

bc of no air coming in maybe?

chill.

I may be wrong.

1 hour ago, NIneEyeRon said:

I’m gaming a RX580 and an i5 8600 for 1080p and I get well over 144FPS in the games that matter. My basic system cost less than your planned graphics card.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

You could just save a few hundred/thousand and buy a Ryzen 2600 and 1070/ti instead and still achieve the same performance. Buying high end parts and then intentionally throttling them down to the performance level of cheaper parts is just throwing money away.

ik but i have the money, :D

I may be wrong.