Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Huawei Matebook D i7 7500U eGPU, help!

amunim

Asalam U Alaikum

I have a PC with a GTX 580, for my results my father decided to give me his Huawei Matebook D which In Sha Allah when I visit KSA will be mine. The problem in that is the GPU and I have one lying around I don't care much about the portability since I don't even have allowance to take outside the home and it'll be lying on the desk most of the time so, is there anyway to from a PCI or something (I don't think it has thunderbolt 3) get my GPU to work and use the laptop for gaming instead of occasionally I am away and have full allowance take my laptop.

Currently I can play GTA V at highest setting at 768p on my PC which has a i3-3210, 8GB ram and a terribly slow HDD compared to the laptop i7, 8 GB and a SSD with the HDD for games but of course the worse 940mx. If I can pair the i7 with my 580 I can play any AAA game like AC Odyssey and Far cry 5 which I am unable to currently.

Anyone helping or taking time to read is greatly appreciated.

Abdul Munim

the laptop should have a PCIe 1x slot which is occupied by the network card. 

you should be able to use a 1x slot to 16x slot adaptor to connect the GPU.

you will need a PSU to use the adaptor. other than that it should work fine, though ive heard it doesnt allways work with every laptop. also there is a performance penalty by running it over PCIe 1x instead of the standard 16x that full desktops traditionally use. 

It should still have it's own GPU, though. It has a 940MX right? While it's not fast, a dedicated hackjob eGPU with PCIe x1 might not actually be faster at all. You will likely have to mod the laptop, like cut a hole in the bottom, to feed the PCIe cable through. Seems like a lot of hassle for not much result.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04