Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The file "install.wim" is too large for the destination file system.

GemAntonio

I tried to creating windows 7 bootable, then this message show: "The file is too large for the destination file system". I don't know why it happened as there are tons of free space on the disk. And last thing my Flash drive format is NTFS and the application what Im using is WindowsImageTool. I'm creating bootable drive for my gigabyte ga-a320m-ds2 DDR4. Anyone can help?
Gigabyte Utility: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool.zip

11a.png

It's likely because the formatting of the drive is set to only allow a max file size smaller than that of the file you're moving. 

Reformat it and change the allocation unit size to a larger size. It defaults to 4GiB with NTFS on removable drives I believe. 

Welcome to LTT forums !

It looks that the is formatted in FAT32 they have a file size limitation that is about 3.8gb

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Yeah, if you want to do an UEFI-install you're limited to Fat32 on the install media, you will need to split the wim or put the wim on a separate partition. This is probably beyond what a normal pc-user should have to deal with but if you want to try it Microsoft has got some guides https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe--use-a-single-usb-key-for-winpe-and-a-wim-file---wim

I have only tried the splitting method so i can not tell you whether it works with a separate partition but that looks easier to do.

Thank you for the replies. The application that i use is from Gigabyte. Even i format my drive but the application is forcing my drive to fat 32. is there any application that i can use. I try any kinds of method?.