Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Am I out of date? :(

Hello everyone I have a upsetting question. Is my laptop getting obsolete? My laptop as wonderful as it has been to me seems to be having trouble running some NEWER games at a tolerable FPS. Now it runs my core games like CSGO, insurgency, Rust, day of infamy, dying light, destiny 2, PUBG, and a few others. Now these games are not to graphically demanding but what I have been trying to get into is insurgency sandstorm. I know the game is currently beta and buggy but when I play this game my FPS is trash. Low settings I get almost 60 and it's playable. But with higher settings I get about 30 to 60 fps not very playable. I also looked at call of duty Black ops 4 and the minimum requirements are what my laptop is packing :/

My laptop is a Asus ROG Strix GL753VE it is rocking a 4GB Nvidia GTX 1050Ti  GPU with a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU. With 16GB DDR4 SDRAM 2,400MHz. Any additional specs can be found online. Does my rig seem to be getting out dated? And what could be a good substitute for me? Keep this in mind I don't have allot of room to work with in my living situation. I would love to build a desktop but I don't have the room to store it in a desk on a table. My laptop is easy to put away and it's out of the way. If there is a compact design that someone knows of that would be great. I don't have a ton of money to drop as well trust me I would love to buy a $4,000 laptop and be set for awhile. I look forward to the feedback. :)

spending 4k on a laptop is complete waste of money, if you want performance and you want it to last for a long time you are doing much better if you buy a laptop for 2k now and then buy a new high end laptop for another 2k in 3-4 years.

the technology advances so fast that a 2k laptop in 3 years will be many times faster than the one you buy today.

3 hours ago, SUPERCHEESE101 said:

GL753VE

bad model

Monitor temps while gaming, could be thermal throttling

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

I wouldnt pay 4000 bucks for a laptop. but could you run a userbenchmark for me? then I may see something there

Trust me I don't want to pay that price much rather do a build. But yes I will run a benchmark for you.

7 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

spending 4k on a laptop is complete waste of money, if you want performance and you want it to last for a long time you are doing much better if you buy a laptop for 2k now and then buy a new high end laptop for another 2k in 3-4 years.

the technology advances so fast that a 2k laptop in 3 years will be many times faster than the one you buy today.

Thank you for the advice 4K for a laptop is nuts trust me not the option I prefer. I will have to buy a new laptop soon I think my 1050 TI is just not cutting it anymore. I hear the GTX 1070 is a good pick and anything with a 1080 cost way to much. 

4 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

bad model

Monitor temps while gaming, could be thermal throttling

No thermal throttling I'm big on keeping my rig cool I use a laptop cooling pad with 5 fans on max. And I use a external vacuum cooler on max that shows the temp of the air it is sucking out. The highest it goes under load is 120°F or 48°C never anymore. Feeling my laptop after gaming for awhile it's cool to the touch even right up to the exhaust vent. Now touching the vacuum cooler is a different story but... It's not so hot that you can't touch it or even hold it for several seconds. Also gpu and CPU temps are running at good ranges.

• 2 years later...

I just want to bump this since I don't see it being discussed very often. I have this exact model of laptop, and I haven't often used it for gaming, but I am playing a demanding one now and it's maxing out the 1050 Ti. It reaches about 85 C them throttles down to somewhere in the hundreds of MHz core clock and sits there until the usage goes back down. There's no dust at all inside, and I'm wondering if reapplying thermal paste would help.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, tgp1994 said:

and I'm wondering if reapplying thermal paste would help.

It should help you, but only a bit. I'm suspecting that the mounting pressure of your heat sink to your gpu is loose, so maybe try to tightened it a bit might help.

Also, check your exhaust fin. I know many people didn't think that the 'sponge' inside the fan covering the fins as dust, for they thought it is a filter of some sort. You need to tear down the fan to get rid of it.

Or it could be what @genexis_xsaid, the thermal design of this model is not great and couldn't cool off adequately, resulting in thermal throttling.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Thank you for the suggestions Chiyawa. What ended up making the most difference for me was, of all things, flipping the laptop upside-down. It turns out those vents on the bottom are very sensitive to airflow and need as much as they can get. My cooling pad apparently wasn't doing the job. I agree that this is a symptom of poor thermal design - they probably should've put vents on the side for intake.